1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Funny NFL Films Reference to "The Big E"- Erik Williams...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CaptainAmerica, Feb 17, 2006.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    ...NFL Films was showing Michael Strahan--"In Their Own Words" and they had some really interesting video of Strahan miked up during a game with the Eagles. Strahan, as most of you know, is a real trash talker and he was mouthing all night at Jon Runyan and telling Runyan to quit holding him, etc. Well as they were interviewing Strahan he said in every game he was trying to embarrass his opponent and of course his opponent was also trying to embarrass him. So he said he wanted no part of any butt slapping during the game, but once the game was over he would tell his opponent (the RT he faced that day), "good game", etc.

Then Strahan said something funny...he said "It's like Erik Williams told me one time during a game..."Just take your *** whipping like a man"!
    He then laughed and you could tell the obvious respect he had for "Big E".

It made me think about Big E and what a GREAT player he was, specifically before he blew out his knee. Simply put, I think if he had not hurt his knee in that late night car accident he would have gone on to become the greatest RT to ever play the game. He was that good.

Wow! Those Jimmy-era Cowboys could have been the greatest dynasty in NFL history if not for Jimmy's departure and the untimely advent of FA. Such incredible talent everywhere you looked.
  2. Haley94

Haley94 Active Member

1,096 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah I saw that. Eric Williams pretty much dominated Strahan throughout their match-ups.
  3. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, I think he could have been the Larry Allen of RT's, he was amazing.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    Big E played OL the way I love it. Nasty from whistle to whistle. Had he not got hurt he was a sure fire 1st ballot HOFer. He was a shell of himself after that injury. To the point I was thrilled he was going.
  5. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Mark Stepnoski
    Erik Williams
    Mark Tuinei
    Nate Newton
    Kevin Gogan
    John Gesek

What an OL......one of the best ever assembled

LA enters the scene in "94"
  6. Calicowboy

Calicowboy New Member

520 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Big E played RT with the mentality of a defensive lineman. One nasty dude.
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,598 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    Big E was one of the few OT who handled Reggie White regularly.
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    And yet another Cowboy with a rule created for him. The hands to the face stopped everyone in their tracks.
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :hammer:

a man among men, if that makes any sense
  10. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,097 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Big E was the only O-Lineman that I enjoyed watching play. I would find myself watching him dominate the poor fool on the other side of the ball.

Usually, watching O-lineman successfuly block their man is Ho-Hum. It is to be expected. Watching EW man handle the likes of Reggie White no less was just a pure joy.

Truly a great player cut down way to soon because of his knee injury.
  11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,542 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    I really wish we could have had just a few games with LA and Big E in their primes lining up at RG and RT - would have been devastating.
  12. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I was thinking the same thing.

Both LA & Big E were lethal to DL in their prime. They were constantly opening holes big enough to drive a Mack Truck through.

I'll ever forget the 2nd SB against Buffalo, 3rd quarter. The DL opposite Eric as he was getting into his stance actually folded like an empty sack of potatoes, because he had not fully recovered from the hit Big E had put on him the previous play. He had to be helped from the field.

With Nate and Tuinei on the left, Stepnoski at C.....Eskimo, that entire OL would have been devastating for years.
  13. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    What is really sad is that we never saw Big E and Larry play side by side before Big E's accident. Everyone talks up the combo of Shell and Upshaw, but they would have been nothing compared to Williams and Allen. Could you imagine the holes for Emmitt to run through?

Also, Week 10 of the 1992 season, Big E was selected NFC Offensive Player of the Week for the way he dominated Reggie White.

Reggie had no answer for Erik Williams, and he rarely got lucky against Erik after his accident.

After Erik Williams entered the scene, Reggie stopped having big games against Dallas.

Then again, there was Thanksgiving of 1994. Erik was out of the season and Reggie went up against rookie Larry Allen. Reggie schooled him in the first half, making the highlight reels. However, the Reggie was NEVER HEARD FROM in the second half as LARRY ALLEN BEAT HIS BUTT SENSELESS!

Do you think ESPN or the NFL will show highlights of the second half though?
  14. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  15. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Except for the first half of the 1994 season.

Also, did you remember the interview William Fuller had with Roy Firestone on Up Close sometime back?

Roy asked him who was the best offensive lineman he went up against. Without a hesitation in his breath, he says, "Erik Williams."

Do you remember the 1996 game Fuller and Williams battled eachother. Fuller gave Troy a late hit (which upset Erik). Williams went on to deliver a butt-whoopin like no other. By the time the 4th quarter came, Fuller just got up and quit.

That is what Erik Williams did to people.
  16. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I remember the game well.

It was common knowledge around the league the Big E was tough enough but don't upset him.....you will receive a butt-whoopin you will never forget.:D

It can truly be said w/out any doubt....Erick could talk the talk and could most definitely walk the walk.
  17. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Big "E" was one of my favorite Cowboys players......he should be in the HOF but they might say his career was to short. However, IMO nobody done it better then Big "E" did in the same amount of time.
  18. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And not a single 1st rounder among them.
  19. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    amazing isn't it.

Mark Stepnoski 3rd
    Erik Williams 3rd
    Mark Tuinei
    Nate Newton
    Kevin Gogan 8th
    John Gesek

Larry Allen 2nd
  20. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Oh yeah - the patented EW "cobra" move. We need the toughness and nastiness in a big way on the current OL. Not one of our current starters fits that mold today.

EW is a legend and althought the NFL or ESPN will ever give him is props, it's nice to know that the players who faced him give him the respect he deserves.

Anyone know what he's up to these days?