1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Funny NFL Films Reference to "The Big E"- Erik Williams...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CaptainAmerica, Feb 17, 2006.

1. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Before he was injured, it wasn't 'could have', he was equally as dominant.
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    And what bothers me is that Emmitt-bashers like to point to his all-world line to distract from Emmitt's success.

While the Cowboys did have a great line, it wasn't like they were drafting No. 1s successive years straight. They put together a dominant line, something any other team could have done had their coaches recognized the talent and had given them the proper coaching.
  3. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jacob Rogers 2nd
    Stephen Peterman 3rd
    Al Johnson 2nd
    Andre Gurode 2nd
    Torrin Tucker

:cry2: :cry2:

We need to bring someone back to help consult Bill with these offensive line picks.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,615 Messages
    4,885 Likes Received
    I miss what mentality Erik brought to the line.

I still have get pleasure from watching old games he had against the likes of Reggie White and William Fuller where he would literally beat them up and make them cry like females.:)
  5. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,726 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    ...defined the term of "mauler" for offensive lineman.

His dominance was so complete that he made the late, great, Reverend Reggie White swear on national TV on a regular basis.

He was the first lineman I saw who went about his business with the intent of truly hurting another player and in Jurkovic's case he ended his career.

Gogan said he learned the most about a nasty lineman mentality from Williams. Newton considered Big E as having the potential to be the greatest lineman ever. That's alot from a man who has also witnessed Allen at his prime.
  6. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,670 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    "Big E" is one of my ALL TIME favorite Cowboys. I loved the way he played and his attitude was nasty and awesome. He would beat his opponent down and showed no mercy at all. The guy was AWESOME....
  7. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,606 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Big E is on my All-Cowboy Offensive line:

Rayfield Wright
    Larry Allen
    Tom Rafferty
    John Niland
    Erik Williams

P.S. Too bad Ray Donaldson didn't play in his prime in Big D. One season doesn't count. He would have been perfect!
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received

Watching Eric Williams beat up Reggie White on a regular basis was pure joy.
  9. Jersey

Jersey Member

478 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In my 30 years of watching ALL sports, I have never seen a HOF player dominated the way Big E did reggie white. His nasty demeanor and excellent footwork made him a one of a kind player.
    I remember me and my buddies cracking up during a MNF game vs. the Packers when Cunningham kicked 5 or 7 FG's to break the record for a game. The record breaking kick came after the game was in hand. Reggie was upset and came off their sideline pointing and yelling at our kicker (ooh, tough-guy). Then Big E see's this and comes charging out to see if Reggie wanted to share his thoughts with him. Reggie see's Big E making a b-line for him and has an immediate brownout in his girdle and turns and runs like a wuss. Me and my pals looked at each other and said "Dang he just punked him on national TV with a look! That my friends is DOMINANCE.
  10. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Big E hit Ted Washington's shoulder so hard once that Washington's leg broke. It took a car crash at 85 mph to slow that man down, and even still he was better than average through the next four years of his career.
  11. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    My favorite offensive lineman of all time...prototypical of what you want both in size and attitude..

His battles with Reggie White were awesome also
  12. rw54

rw54 Member

277 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Big E also perfected the head butt. Nobody wanted to get close to him because he would square his shoulders and launch his head at the DE's head. Michael Irvin said he was the best player in the entire NFL. I can't imagine what a line of LA in his prime and Big E before the accident would have been like. Throw in Nate Newton and no line in the history of the NFL has ever had that much talent.
  13. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    EW is the definition of a true warrior...laid it all on the line.
  14. Manster68

1,606 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    As much as I am cheering for Rob Petitti's success, I sure wouldn't mind a 1992 version of Erik Williams right about now.

I know that is not possible though.
  15. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,670 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    I love reading all the stories about Big E. He's my favorite Cowboy linemen ever and he and Irvin are my 2 ALL TIME favorite Cowboys, oh yeah, along with Dorsett.....
  16. The Curly One

The Curly One New Member

587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Eric Williams was the most dominant lineman I have ever seen. I remember seeing him club one guy down face first in the ground and go after another guy right behind him. He was evil and had no mercy. He manhandled and dominated every player every play right up until his car crash. He was never the same after that. Do not even mention Eric Williams and Larry Allen in the same breath they are not even close to the same and never have been.
    I loved how Eric Williams got pissed off if anyone hit Troy Aikman and would literally go after them every play after that. You did not mess with his QB.
    Big E was the best I have ever seen, right now nobody would even take Larry Allen and there is not one single team he would start for other than the Cowboys who have one of the worst lines in the league. Does that tell you anything? Four years ago the best we could get for LA was a 4th round pick and his stock is still dropping.
    I really can not think of one single offensive lineman that dominated like Eric Williams. There have been many good solid players that protected the QB but none that I know of that beat the crap out of the opponents like that. Curly
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    I find your favorite Cowboys interesting, considering you've chosen another Cowboy great as your Internet handle. Or am I wrong?
  18. Manster68

1,606 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I know you were referring to the other Manster, but there have been so many great players on this team over the decades that there are probably many favorites.

Big E was one of my favorites also. If it wasn't for his accident, he would have been a Hall of Famer. That was his own fault though.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that Jerry Jones didn't try to take back some of Big E's salary after the accident. You know, the same way the Browns took back some of Kellen Winslow's.

Both accidents were due to negligence, right? Am I wrong?
  19. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received

So Big E was leaving a club drunk and then got into the accident? If so he definitely should've had his pay cut.
  20. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

957 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    This was a great thread to read. Thanks.

[IMG]