1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FWIW Babe speculating on staff changes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by theebs, Jan 12, 2014.

1. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

426 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Garrett did some very good work as an OC ? When ? Where ? He had one good season his first season because nobody was expecting a playbook the old Cowboy playbook from 1993. After that, he had the same problems they have now; abandon the run, pass pattterns take forever to develop, 3 yard dump-offs on 3rd and anything longer that 5 yards, same 6 yard out to TE.....
    junk, tantrix1969 and khiladi like this.
  2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,705 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    I think it's bound to help to some extent getting the injured players back on defense next season. As to whether it's enough to make the difference between mediocrity and being a winner, it's another question. I wouldn't be inclined to bet on it at this point. If a pleasant surprise is on the horizon, it's definitely not especially apparent by anything that has happened as yet. You might believe there's realistically nowhere to go but up but it seems to me that if continuity is our strategy for the offseason, it's a pretty depressing thought to me.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,340 Messages
    2,892 Likes Received
    We have a cap situation every year. What aging players? Romo, Witten and Ware?
  4. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Active Member

561 Messages
    227 Likes Received

Yes, those aging players......and your right, we always seem to have to work around the cap....just like other teams....

But, take those two issues away from my argument. And leave the schedule next year as an obstacle....i still only see us winning 5 games.......
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,130 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Get real. You know your old pal Jerry. He changes his mind like he changes underwear. He could be all for somebody today, and tomorrow be ready to fire him.

(I do agree with your premise however) Pretty freaking shady last year to call Rob on the beach, and if that was Jerry's decision if I were Red I wouldn't have made the call. I would have told him to do it!
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,193 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    Yeah
    People just don't pay attention
  7. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,330 Messages
    1,632 Likes Received
    I'd agree with you, but Garrett likes to throw everybody under the bus, so I just assume he sucks and will always suck, because he was born to suck.
  8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,330 Messages
    1,632 Likes Received
    You don't remember the Dave Schula play-calling of old?
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,279 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Jason Hoover?
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    I think I'd make the call too. Anything to stop massaging his feet.
    dreghorn2 likes this.
  11. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Yes, that's the spirit...

[IMG]
    visionary, Zimmy Lives and khiladi like this.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,679 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    IMO, if they are planning to make a move, they already have the candidates they want lined up.
  13. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

404 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    So true. It's almost as if when we decided to go back to the 4-3 Jerry went to the best 4-3 coach he knew the last time we ran that defense. Problem is that was 10 years ago. Kiffin may have been the hot commodity after the 2002 season, but a decade later teams caught on to the Tampa 2, not to mention Kiffin now being 73.

Maybe after Kiffin is gone Jerry can bring back the flex defense. Has anyone seen Gene Stallings lately?
    khiladi likes this.
  14. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,046 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    If Marinelli only wants to be a DL coach then bring in Dennis Thurman and/or Ken Norton Jr. as DC. Thurman has had tons of success with Rex Ryan in both NY and Baltimore. Kenny's Seattle and USC defenses are physical and athletic, cocky but disciplined. Both guys are not just former Cowboys (i.e. Dat Nguyen & Leon Lett) but both have proven track record of coaching success.

As for the offense, I want to see an innovative take no prisoners coach like Art Briles as OC.
    khiladi likes this.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,067 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Quit being a negative nancy. Recent history shows they will be 8-8....again.
    CowboyFan4Eva likes this.
  16. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

404 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    And that win or go home final game of the season is almost like a playoff loss every year. What's not to like?
    CowboyFan4Eva likes this.
  17. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,345 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    1-15 would land Winston.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,451 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    I'd be very surprised to find that many coaches with everyone being all warm and fuzzy. You can be professional without liking someone.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,521 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received
    I don't think it's an assumption at this point.

The OP was almost suggesting that Garrett should be seen as some kind of sympathetic figure. Sorry, not buying it. He didn't have to take this job if he thought it was a dead end -- after almost a decade in this organization plus his dad's experience, no one knew what Jerry would be like better than he did.

And if it's truly that impossible, quit and go somewhere else. But Garrett doesn't have the character or fortitude of a Mike Munchak. He knows he won't make four or five million at his next job, so he's going to keep treading water as long as he can, while as you say throwing under the bus pretty much everyone else from his assistants to the QB who repeatedly saves his butt

The "Poor Jason" angle also assumes he would ever become a good coach with the right experience. Nah, I don't believe that. Most people with true talent show it pretty early. Think giving Jim Zorn more time would let him blossom into a great coach? No, it only would have meant more losing for the Redskins. At least Snyder was smart enough to cut his losses there.

But our Jason Zorn? Nope, keep him in as long as possible. Continuity, baby.
    BAT, Duane, visionary and 6 others like this.
  20. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,130 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    POST OF THE NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CowboyFan4Eva and khiladi like this.