1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Bernadeau, opening on PUP, says he needs to regain strength and technique

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 26, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,480 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Mackenzy Bernadeau got on the field Wednesday, working on the side with the trainers as the Cowboys opened three days of pre-camp practices for rookies, injured players, free agents and selected veterans.

The veteran guard signed in free agency to play right guard is trying to come back from hip surgery that kept him out of the OTAs and minicamps in the spring. He’ll start training camp next week on the physically unable to perform list.

“I’m just trying to get back as soon as possible, and get my leg strength back,” he said. “But range of motion is feeling good. Flexibility is doing good. ... It’s going to take a little while to get my leg strength back, but when I’m ready, I’m ready.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ain-strength-and-technique.html#storylink=cpy
  2. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    How many of these broken-from-day-1 players have the Cowboys acquired in the past decade?

Between our draftees and our FA signings it seems like half are unable to play or are coming in with injuries before even the first practice.

And Bernadeau waits until the middle of May to have surgery? The guy won't contribute a thing this season.

:bang2:
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,028 Messages
    9,143 Likes Received
    Get his strength back?

I remember being told that wasn't necessary. It was a minor procedure and somehow a layoff wouldn't result in any lost strength and conditioning.
  4. Risen Star

22,028 Messages
    9,143 Likes Received
    The head coach needs to make it less acceptable.

I'm not talking about the guys who need surgery but there sure seems to have been a ton of missed time in camps and practices over recent years. Parcells wouldn't tolerate it. Garrett shouldn't either.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Yep. Leg strength goes quickly when the legs aren't getting regular use. It's amazing what walking reps do for those muscles.

Good news is, they come back pretty quickly, too, though. Either way, it sucks that he's not ready for the start of camp.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,532 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I'd be more encouraged if he had let the "re" out of "regain" regarding his technique.

The guy was benched for poor play and forced back into the lineup because of injury.

Not exactly the career path of the technically sound.
  7. Risen Star

22,028 Messages
    9,143 Likes Received
    Yeah, what you're stating as obvious wasn't so obvious when he had the surgery. The consensus here was he wouldn't skip a beat. No setback physically with his strength and conditioning. Which I found to be completely illogical.

I'm not really worried about Bernadeau. You have to be a good player for me to worry about your health and ability to get on the field. This is a backup from Carolina we're talking about here. I have no hopes for him to be anything more than that type of player performance wise.
  8. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    But Risen...I think the Cowboys were expecting him to compete for a starting role.

Our G-C-G situation scares the crap out of me.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    Maybe you need to read this:

Some players wait until the middle of May to have surgery because either that's when the injury occurs or that's when surgery becomes a necessity.
  10. Idgit

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    I remember the thread, because I was agreeing re: how quickly leg muscles atrophy based off of my own experience.

I don't agree, though, that we shouldn't be expecting starting-quality play from Bernadeau. Even injured, he's a potential starter, and losing him sucks since we're trying to rebuild that interior line.
  11. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    I'm not going to get too worked up about Bernadeau, the interior OL situation is a log-jam of "potential" starters, losing one of them for the beginning of TC isn't like losing an actual starter.
  12. Idgit

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    It is if he's the one that would have ended up starting if not for the injury. Given his experience and contract, there was a good chance of that happening.
  13. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    That's the beauty of signing a JAG, replacing him isnt a big deal because the drop off is minimal! Besides, Leary Arkin Nagy might just as easily be the starter.
  14. Idgit

31,284 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Leary I'll give you. Arkin and Nagy weren't as likely, though either of them could have conceivably outright won the job.

But when you're pencilled-in starter is a JAG, and you signed him in FA ostensibly to upgrade the position, even losing a JAG sucks because it sets back the team's plans if he can't snap back into shape and push for the job coming out of camp.
  15. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    We'll see, I've been bummed about the whole interior OL situation for so long that I'm burned out, I'm ready to accept what it is and just hope for a little luck and the famous Callahan magic to save the day.
  16. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,130 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    Football, are you kidding?

This sounds like a boardroom group for a 'rock group.' Look into investments next...:cool: