1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST Blog: Brent likes fullback role

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 5, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,735 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

In two games this season, the Cowboys didn't have a fullback on their 47-man game day roster. Or not a fullback in name.

Tight end John Phillips mainly filled that role in games against the Jets and the Lions, but defensive tackle Josh Brent got three snaps in the goal-line offense.

"He’s certainly comfortable doing it," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said of Brent. "He’s a very good athlete, and he’s confident in that role."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2011/10/brent-likes-fullback-role.html
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    can we just have a fullback play fullback. Throwing brent in the hole seems to clog it up...lol...i wish our running back knew how to jump over the pile though.

It seems we do not try stuff like QB sneaks or running backs jumping over the line.

When was the last time romo has done a QB sneak? We have all these third/fourth and 1's but we never call a QB sneak.
  3. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,667 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    maybe it's the busted ribs?
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I was telling my buddies during the game last week that I wonder why backs never seem to jump over the pile anymore. At one time that was common... Walter Payton, Herschel, Barry Sanders, tons of guys used to do that. Now no one does, and I don't know why. It's almost impossible to stop.

And I thought Archer or someone had a good question the other day... Why not Lissemore for this role? He's plenty big enough and obviously can run.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, in respect to our team, the answer is probably because we have defensive linemen already into the backfield and grabbing at our RBs before they even hit the LOS, lol.

It's maddening.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The preseason game in I think 06 or 07 vs Oakland and it cost us Stephen Peterman for the year to a blown out knee.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ummm this guy sucks on short yardage...
  8. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    even before the busted ribs, I am not just talking about this season.
  9. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,768 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    We had a running back one time named Emmitt Smith who did that very thing in, I believe it was a game against Chicago. I believe they had to carry him off the field when he landed wrong on his head/neck. IIRC, I believe he missed a game or two because of that.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Never heard of him.
  11. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I thought Brent looked pretty weak at FB. He stands straight up rather than staying low, and he slows at the point of impact.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't think you want to run a QB sneak with your franchise player playing with cracked ribs.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    2-0 when FB Tony Fiammetta plays, 0-2 when he doesn't.

MVP!

:D
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    Lissemore is a better runner with the football.
  15. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    How about handing Brent the ball? He couldn't do any worse!
  16. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I say line him up deep and have felix in as FB quick FB dive and have brent run behind him and push him in. Obviously i'm talking inside the 3