1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Coale to receive shot as No. 3 receiver (Notes)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by rafaelgreco, Apr 30, 2012.

1. rafaelgreco

rafaelgreco Member

75 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    BY CARLOS MENDEZ
    cmendez@star-telegram.com

As the Dallas Cowboys look for a new No. 3 receiver, they are going to throw their fifth-round pick into the competition.

"He's in the mix," coach Jason Garrett said Saturday of Danny Coale, taken with the 152nd pick out of Virginia Tech, where he is second all-time in catches and yards.

"He's a guy that we like physically. We like him intangibly. He's got some position versatility and flexibility," Garrett said.

Coale caught 165 passes for 2,658 yards (16.3 average) and eight touchdowns at Virginia Tech. He returned eight punts as a senior. He also punted, averaging 43.5 yards on 13 attempts late in the season last year.

"We feel like he has good traits to be an inside receiver, also the physical skills to be an outside receiver," Garrett said. "We're excited about him at the receiver position, but also as a special teams contributor. Very good career there at Virginia Tech."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/04/29/3921276/dallas-cowboys-notes-coale-to.html#storylink=cpy
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,854 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I dont think the third reciever is on the roster yet.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,073 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I like what I've seen and heard about Coale but this is the one guy that Broaddus was unsure about. (going by his twitter comments)
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,402 Messages
    705 Likes Received

We better hope he is because highly unlikely the Cowboys hit on one during the final cut downs this summer that will produce like Robinson did last season.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,044 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    that's pretty much by default though
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,693 Messages
    1,141 Likes Received
    Coale was drafted to fill exactly that role ala Patrick Crayton.

I think he's capable and the coaches probably think he's going to be the guy...or at least hope that he is :laugh2:
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,217 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    You guys have absolutely no clue how good this kid Coale is going to be. Coale is going to be our #3 and he is going to be a steal for us. He is precisely what this offense has been missing..

Dependable
    Reliable
    Great hand
    Crisp routes

Think Witten but at WR..on a smaller scale

He is a perfect fit to go along with Dez and Miles
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I believe in Danny Coale.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I like him long term, but I don't like counting on rookie WRs for much of anything. If nothing else, he's going to be a good special teams guy right away after playing under Beamer. We need some guys if we're not bringing back Holley and Ball.
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,713 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I think Coale and Harris will both get a significant chance to play in the slot this year...
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,854 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I think another team (more than one) will get in a numbers crunch in August and put a guy on the street you dont expect.
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think the Redskins may cut Gaffney. They could cut Moss as well. But I am sure there will be other significant cuts as well.
  13. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,499 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    They said this kid ran every route perfect at the combine and caught everything. Can run the entire route tree and is also a team leader. He is going to make the team and if for no other reason to get rid of OTree. Coale will be #3
  14. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think we are going with this group. If Radway doesn't get hurt, we were going into the season with him, Holley/Harris and OTree behind the starters.

Its clear they want WR3-5 to be versatile.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,478 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Anyone coming into camp is going to battle for the 3rd wideout spot. It's wide open. Pun intended
  17. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,182 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Not even with Radway? I dont think you know what youre talking about.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,854 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    You are talking about counting a guy whose leg basically disintegrated on a non contact play be your 3 WR, and I dont know what I am talking about?:laugh1:
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,073 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I endorse this candidate.
  20. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,713 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Watch the political stuff... ;)