1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys arguably should cut Josh Brent, but he’s no Aaron Hernandez

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,380 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    By Mac Engel

tengel@star-telegram.com

[IMG] When now former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez walked into a court room Wednesday before being charged with murder, a lot of people asked why the Dallas Cowboys have not cut their own disgraced player.
    Josh Brent may be a lot of things, and the circumstances of his transgression are tragically stupid, but he is not Aaron Hernandez or Rae Carruth.

There are plenty of comparisons to be made between Hernandez and Brent, and many reasons to release one or both from their respective franchises. Yet there is one distinct difference between these two shamed players: Hernandez’s actions are allegedly premeditated while Brent’s were the result of negligence and supreme arrogance.

Only one of these men can claim what they did was an accident, which is what keeps Brent as a distant member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Read the rest: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/26/4966393/cowboys-arguably-should-cut-josh.html
  2. Go4Two

Go4Two New Member

25 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I agree that Brent should be cut instead of "waiting to see how things play out". It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team that he can get a DUI and even kill a teammate and still not be shown the door. They could still support him with counseling and contact with the team without being an actual member of the team. The Hernandez situation is completely different from Brent's due to the nature of the offense but the end result for the player should be the same.
  3. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    Just replying to this because the new format merged the title with the above poster and read as "FWST Cowboys Should Arguably Go4Two"

And I just thought, it's way too early in the game season to consider doing that, Mac Engel. But that takes guts! We could use you at Valley Ranch!
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,572 Messages
    2,738 Likes Received
    Mac Engel looks like he takes himself more seriously than I tend to take him. What's up with that headshot, Mac? It's kind of creepy.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,249 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    I dont see Brent ever playing for the Cowboys again, I think the reason for not cutting him is more of just allowing the legal process to be completed, and providing support.
    pancakeman likes this.
  6. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,341 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    He just went back to jail today for another failed drug test per the ticker line on sportscenter.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,268 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    Looks like one of the mugshots they put up for the upcoming match on WWE.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,379 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    Apples and oranges, but they're both rotten fruit.
    Dash28, dstew60105 and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,412 Messages
    1,797 Likes Received
    Brown's Mom asked Jerry to support Brent thru all this and Jerry and the team said they would. Brown's Mom considers Brent as her son. What else were the Cowboys going to do? Not only are the doing the right thing there but they don't have to worry about being the heavy in this. The NFL will do that for the Cowboys. I can understand the anger some have but you honor his mom and support your friend. Supporting a friend who's done wrong isn't the same as condoning their behavior or enabling them. You wouldn't be much of a friend if you abandoned them when they needed you the most. Brent will pay for his mistake the rest of his life; not just his debt to justice. He caused the death of his best friend. What an unimaginable burden to carry with you thru life.
  10. Sarge

20,379 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    Exactly - at some point you need to be able to put 2 and 2 together to figure out he's not the sharpest tool in the deck.

;)
  11. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,381 Messages
    17 Likes Received

I think the saying ends with "shed".

:D
  12. Sarge

20,379 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    Which is why I ended with a ;)
    SkinsandTerps likes this.
  13. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,381 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    You get a like for that...

Don't really get the whole "like" thing, but ...sure.
    Sarge likes this.