1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys blink and sign Claiborne without offset language because of Camp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 24, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,331 Likes Received
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Irving _ Owner Jerry Jones feels a sense of urgency that window is closing on the Cowboys and he wants to win now.

He said as much in the offseason.

Jones put his words into action in agreeing to a four-year/$16.4 million deal with former LSU standout cornerback Morris Claiborne on Monday.

It includes a $10.3 million signing bonus and an option for a fifth season, sources said.

But there is no offset language in the contract _ the only point of contention in negotiations and the only reason the sixth-overall pick hadn’t signed earlier.

In the end, the Cowboys decided it was more important to have Claiborne in camp and ready to go on time than to hold their ground on contract language, a source said

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...because-of-importance-of-him-being-camp-.html
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,744 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    Interesting blurb in article...

But with all of this year’s the top ten signing deals so far without offset language, the Cowboys were forced to blink in their standoff with Claiborne and his agent Buss Cook.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ortance-of-him-being-camp-.html#storylink=cpy

I wonder if that is something that has not happened for some time with the first 10 picks...or if this is something new where the top ten picks are not making as much as they would in the past.
  3. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,486 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    They didn't blink. They went with the flow because other teams had started signing their players without the language. The only alternative was to not have Claiborne at camp and practicing. I'm sure they exchanged the offset language for the 5th year club option. I think they did the right thing because there is little chance they would give up on him in less than 4 years. I mean didn't they give Alan Ball that long? I know he was a minimum salary guy but Claiborne should certainly be good enough to hang around at least 4 years.
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Given that the Seahawks paid 29 million in guaranteed money to Russell Okung as part of a 58 million dollar contract under the old CBA, the Cowboys came out way ahead.
  5. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You'd think a professional beat writer could get Tyron Smith's name right. :rolleyes:
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    To this day I still pronounce it Ty-ron instead of the proper Ty-run.

It's like a mental hurdle I can't clear. I see his name and pronounce it wrong.

The head coach did it too when he was drafted.