1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys in the market for a solid backup for oft-injured DeMarco Murray

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,294 Messages
    3,167 Likes Received
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
    chill@star-telegram.com

Former first-round pick Felix Jones is a free agent and not expected to return after largely being a disappointment the past few years, putting the Cowboys in the market for a backup to share the load with Murray.

Owner Jerry Jones said it’s a priority because of Murray’s workload and expectations for him rather than concerns about his health.

“It’s no different than any running back that I would be looking to to have the snaps that we’d expect from him,” Jones said. “We’re counting on him for protection. We count on him obviously to carry the ball; we count on him in the passing game and are going to count on him more in the passing game. … But the concern is a concern. We sure need a backup.”

Coach Jason Garrett said the Cowboys aren’t looking for a change-of-pace back to complement Murray. They just need the best back possible to make their offense go and not have a letdown if Murray’s unavailable.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/24/4640845/cowboys-in-the-market-for-a-solid.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,941 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I would draft a big back who can finish.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,742 Likes Received
    As opposed to a little one, who can't? :)
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    There a plenty quality backs in this draft. I think it would be wise to spend a 3rd rounder. The second runningback can play a big role in this offense, and could potentially be a starter--if Murray's injury woes continue
  5. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Or his fumble woes.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,912 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    I think you can find a good back up later then the 3rd.
  7. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,213 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Rookie RB in Washington was a sixth rounder who ran a 4.68 forty. Plenty of guys like that. Draft is full of backs who were productive in college, know how to run, but don't wow anyone at combine, poor man's Emmitt Smith, who was considered too slow by many going into draft.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,832 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Would not mind a late pick on a guy like Neb RB Rex Burkhead
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    Instead of drafting a complementary, change of pace back ... how about drafting a RB who can carry the load full time?

We all know Murray ain't gonna make it through an entire season.

So why get another Felix Jones???
  10. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,480 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    That's exactly what they said they were looking for. Did you even read the article?
  11. thebigeasy88

thebigeasy88 Member

258 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    As a huge Nebraska fan...I would LOVE this pick. Good post my man...
  12. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    folks what about Tanner?
  13. egn22

egn22 Active Member

814 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Wonder what ivory's price tag will be
  14. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,193 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    S Jackson, A Bradshaw, M Turner, R Mendenhall, C Ivory and possibly D Williams, R Bush and W McGahee all are available. A vet on a one year deal wouldn't be a bad way to go.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,130 Messages
    2,736 Likes Received
    I'd rather just draft a RB in the 4th or 5th. Put the money towards the OL. It would better spent.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,941 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I like the running back from Michigan St. Le'Veon Bell!
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,742 Likes Received
    A backup VFA RB isn't going to cost very much. If we've got better uses for a 4th or 5th rounder (TE3, LB, S), I don't mind passing on a RB in this draft. There are mid-round guys there every draft, and we've had pretty good luck across the board finding value RBs. 4th round picks might be pretty valuable this year, given some of our holes.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,978 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    Vet RB-depends on the cost. I'd much rather have a younger and less expensive back. They'll be looking third down at a lot of positions.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,912 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Outside of AP, there is not another back in the NFL right now that I would say is worth a true 1st rd pick. Sadly the value of the RB position is lower now then it has ever been due to the league pushing the pass.

4th or 5th rd there will be good all purpose backs available that will be cheap and have YOUNG legs
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,130 Messages
    2,736 Likes Received
    I get what you are saying but it doesn't change the fact if we don't improve the OL we will always be challenged in the running game.