1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys must defend home turf

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Playoff fate -- and Jason Garrett's -- could come down to finale once again

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

If Jason Garrett doesn't take the Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs in 2013, then we all expect to have a new head coach in 2014.

Hey, that's what happens when America's Team has consecutive 8-8 seasons. Jerry Jones has run out of patience, even though his poor drafts and bad decisions have contributed to the Cowboys being stuck in the abyss of mediocrity.

At least Garrett's fate will be determined in Cowboys Stadium.

The Cowboys will end their season at home for the first time since 2009, which coincidentally is the last time they made the playoffs.

Hmmmm.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9187228/dallas-cowboys-defend-home-turf-make-playoffs
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,041 Messages
    3,959 Likes Received
    I'm not so sure this season is playoffs-or bust for Jason Garrett, actually. I think the organization likes him a lot. If we miss out on the playoffs and there are extenuating circumstances (injury to Romo, problems like we had last year on the defensive side, whatever), I can see him getting a 4th year. Fans would hate it, but I could see it happening.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Make no mistake this team must make the playoffs in order for Garrett to keep his job...
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    You don't pay Romo this kind of contract to go 8-8 again. He isn't going anywhere. Guess who's next?
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,380 Messages
    1,376 Likes Received
    If we miss the playoffs and Romo stays healthy, Garrett is history. I don't think there is any way around it.

If Romo goes down early and we miss, then I think there is a 50/50 chance Jason stays.

But make no mistake, Garrett will be gone if we miss again and Romo plays in 16 games regardless of who else gets injured.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,041 Messages
    3,959 Likes Received
    I'm not sure that's the case. I agree it's likely. But if the Jones' family think he's the right guy, and we have another competitive offseason, we could give him another year yet. 10-6 or 9-7 and no playoffs would probably do it.

3 years is pretty much standard unless the program is a disaster. A 4th year isn't all that much to ask for if you like the direction the coach is going in.

I don't much care, either way, though, because I think we had a team capable of contending in the NFC playoffs *last* season if we didn't have the injury and schedule issues we had. I think we'll be better this year than last, so I expect us to at least get a wildcard.
  7. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

470 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Barring losing Romo to a season-ending injury, I think the Cowboys must make the playoffs for Jason to keep his job - no excuses, especially with this schedule. We were fortunate to control our playoff destiny with an 8-7 record going into Week 17 the past two years.

Even if Jerry likes Jason, he will not stand for the Cowboys missing the playoffs for a 4th year in a row, which hasn't happened since '86-'90. Going 9-7 and missing the playoffs might be acceptable if this were a true rebuilding project, but you have a franchise QB. In this era, it's unacceptable to miss the playoffs year after year with a franchise QB (and Jerry has a hand in that, but he's not getting fired).

If the Cowboys go 10-6 and beat the Eagles on Week 17 but miss out on the playoffs due to a tie-breaker, that would make it interesting, but it cost Lovie his job last year, and I think it would likely cost Jason his job too.
  8. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I agree. They just signed Romo for what is basically a three year plan/contract. I think Garrett will be on same plan. They are tied together at this point.