1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys offense continues to sputter, scoring only 17 points

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 12, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo took exception to a question about the fact that the Cowboys offense had scored only 17 points.

"How many?" Romo asked, pointing out the final score was 38-23.

Yes, but....

The Eagles offense actually outscored the Cowboys offense, 23-17, but Dallas was the beneficiary of three return touchdowns. It marked the first time in team history the Cowboys have returned a punt for a touchdown, an interception for a touchdown and a fumble for a touchdown.

The Cowboys offense didn’t do much, but it did enough.

“We still need to correct the things we didn’t do as well in this game and build off the stuff that we did,” said Romo, who played through his bruised arm. “If we keep creating turnovers and special teams plays well, boy, we could be a good ballclub. We really could.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...tinues-to-sputter-scoring-only-17-points.html
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,788 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    While I agree that the offense still has issues, the defensive and special teams scoring plays took away possession series form the offense. That's a good thing of course, but it also makes me worry less about yesterday's game in particular when it comes to the offense's scoring.

If you look at most teams in the league this year, when you see scores of 30+, the teams had help from turnovers and/or special teams to achieve those scores. The only real problem is that the Cowboys have only done this in one game so far.

#reality
  3. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    exactly, very flawed premise for this article.
  4. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    The offense looked like crap as usual. Love the win but our offense did nothing to make me feel like they are turning the corner. Its still the same 18ppg offense its been all year
  5. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,107 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    against a tough defense in a very hostile place without our top back (and a big drop off after him) -- I'll take the win--it's a team game and without the other 2 phases of the game, no offense is very good
  6. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Yep, our offense had only eight possessions when we even tried to score. (We just tried to run out clock on our last two possessions.) The Eagles had 13 offensive possessions when they tried to score, not even including their final possession when they got the ball with 46 seconds left.

The offense wasn't great, but getting two touchdowns and a field goal out of eight possessions (none with great field position) is more than adequate.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,184 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    Not to mention the fact that Philly got 6 first downs as a result of penalties. Had those not occurred, we probably get 2-3 more possessions. Even if it only turns into 6 points, that's a big difference in a game like that.

The offense wasn't explosive, but at least it was pretty efficient and didn't do anything to put the defense in a terrible position or blow the game altogether like it has at times this year. That first TD drive to answer Philly was excellent, and really huge. If we went 3 and out or turned the football over, Dallas doesn't win.
  8. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    i thought we was playing keep away and time mgt in the 4 th qtr??????
  9. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Dallas's final pass attempt was the TD pass to Bryant to end the 3rd quarter. I think they gave up trying to score.
  10. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,173 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    All that matters is the cows offense and ST didn't screw the pooch...theirs did.

Can they win with any kind of consistency like that?

I don't know; if they can avoid turning it over themselves, then they might.
  11. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Bunch of excuses. This offense sucks.
  12. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I'll never understand why certain arguments only work against us.

I have a friend who's an Eagle's fan tell me that we won....but Vick was hurt. Yeah....that excuse sure didn't work for me last year when we had Mcgee playing for three and a half quarterrs.

Yeah....our offense was outscored by the Eagle's offense. Just like two weeks ago when our offense outscored the Giant's offense.

But that excuse doesn't fly.

Only for the other team.
  13. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,252 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Ditto Baltimore.
  14. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

852 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Great point.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,514 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I'm not going to look at this last game since we haven't gotten many TOs this year. Yes, I loved the game and that's what you want to see.

That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of the year we haven't run the ball well, made a ton of penalties, gave the ball up too much, can't score well in the RZ (40% TDs), can't sustain drives due to aforementioned penalties as well as dropped passes and overthrown balls yada, and we have two WRs who don't run their routes well in a timing offense.

That's cause for concern. We're scoring 18 per and we've been outscored this year.

Not whining. Those are the facts.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I have to agree... This offense is not consistant enough. They must work on this against Cleveland and Washington.
  17. KD Drummond

KD Drummond New Member

16 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This hits the nail squarely on the head. Their backup quarterback outscored their starting quarterback, yet somehow it lessens the quality of the win because he was in there?

The poster that pointed out our lack of possessions due to the return scores is on the mark as well. What happens if the punt only takes us to the 30, and the interception return to the 20... the offense scores more points than 17. What happens if on the sack fumble, Hatcher lands at the one; easy touchdown for Felix.

These are the scores that every other team in the NFL gets to help pad their scoring. It's an extremely flawed point of view to single out an offense scoring 17 points on only 8 possessions. Is the offense perfect? Far from it, but it was more than enough. That's 25+ points in a normal 12-14 possession game.
  18. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    offense is sub-par
  19. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,912 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Tony Romo's offense averages 17.75 ppg...No excuses for that
  20. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone is claiming that the offense shouldn't be performing better, just that using the Eagles game as an example of that is a flawed premise.