1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: FWST: Cowboys' rookie receivers played better than they practiced

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NextGenBoys, Aug 13, 2011.

1. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,810 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    The first two weeks of the Dallas Cowboys' training camp didn't tell Stephen McGee much about sixth-round pick Dwayne Harris.

Except that he knew the rookie receiver was having a tough time.

"He's a guy that I felt like has had a lot on his plate," McGee said. "Our offense isn't simple. With no OTAs (organized team activities), those young guys, their heads have been spinning."

But Thursday night, in the Cowboys' preseason opener, Harris and those young guys turned heads.

Harris caught two touchdown passes, undrafted Raymond Radway caught a touchdown pass, undrafted Tysson Poots converted a third down with a fingertip catch, and Jesse Holley had a catch in the Cowboys' 24-23 victory against the Denver Broncos.
  2. w8lifter

w8lifter Active Member

522 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Granted it was only a pre-season game with 2nd & 3rd stringers covering him, but Harris definitely did help his chances to make the team.

Even Radway & Poots deserve a heart felt 'Atta boy'...... :thankyou:
  3. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,753 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I don't think Harris was not going to make the team. The roster of WRs after Bryant and Austin is pretty is pretty heavy with undrafted FAs. Ogletree is doing his usual impersonation of a WR.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd still like to see Harris drop a little weight. In fact, I'm almost sure I read an article early in training camp saying he was trying to do just that.

I want to see Ogletree have a "breakout" game this preseason.
  5. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,375 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    "I'm not going to sit here and lie. Training camp has been frustrating," McGee said. "We have a lot of young guys. A lot of busted routes, a lot of missed hots, sights or whatever it may be. As an older guy, going into my third year now, you have to be patient. But then they come in the game today and they just did a great job making plays. They were on top of everything, for the most part. I think they only missed one tonight. So I was proud of them. They did a great job of stepping up when the lights come on."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/12/3287840/cowboys-rookie-receivers-played.html#ixzz1UwCmGN00

Is it just me, or did anyone else find that hilarious. McGee as the "old vet."

Priceless.