1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Cowboys trade down, draft Notre Dame running back

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mavs Man, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By Stephen Hawkins

The Associated Press

IRVING - The Dallas Cowboys had their choice of any running back in the NFL draft Saturday. But they traded down 21 spots and waited to fill one of their biggest needs.

After sending their first-round pick to Buffalo for second- and fifth-round picks this year, and a No. 1 next year, the Cowboys saw four other runners picked before they got another chance. Then they took Julius Jones from Notre Dame with the 43rd overall pick in the second round.

"The running back thing fell exactly like you'd want to draw it up for us to be in that spot," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "But then trumped by that was the opportunity get that No. 1 pick next year. It's got an opportunity to be significant."

The Bills took Tulane quarterback J.P. Losman at the No. 22 spot from Dallas, then top running back prospects Steven Jackson, Chris Perry and Kevin Jones went in the next nine picks.

All those backs were high on Dallas' board, but so were Julius Jones and a couple of others. And by waiting, the Cowboys and coach Bill Parcells got an extra pick this year and next.

Jones was just the fourth Notre Dame player to rush for more than 3,000 career yards (3,018 yards and 26 touchdowns in 45 games) and broke Tim Brown's school record with 1,678 kickoff return yards.

With their other second-round pick, the 52nd overall, the Cowboys took USC offensive tackle Jacob Rogers, who played through a sprained right knee last season.

After making the second-round picks, Jerry Jones indicated that eight-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Larry Allen probably would be remaining with the Cowboys.

Allen, who has clashed with Parcells over conditioning and other issues, visited with Oakland and Detroit after being given permission to try finding a new team. Jones said he had a good talk with Allen this week, and that any incentive to trade the lineman would be minimal after the first day of the draft.

The Cowboys also had a third-round pick Saturday night, the 83rd overall. They have three more selections Sunday, but not the sixth- and seventh-round ones they gave up in trades last season to Green Bay for receiver Terry Glenn and to Oakland for defensive end Kenyon Coleman.

Julius Jones visited Valley Ranch just more than a week ago, and Parcells told the running back he could be a second-round target.

Dallas is still trying to replace NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith, who is now in Arizona. He was released last year in a salary cup move and after Parcells showed no interest in keeping the aging back.

Troy Hambrick was the primary runner last season and led the team with 972 rushing yards and five touchdowns. Richie Anderson, a versatile back, led the Cowboys with 69 catches.

The team owner wouldn't proclaim Julius Jones the likely starter, but feels he can "come in and do the things a starter can do." He did say the running back won't wear the No. 22 jersey he wore at Notre Dame, and what Smith wore in his 13 seasons with Dallas.

"I feel very confident I can come in and contribute to the team," Julius Jones said. "I felt something was going on when they had the chance to take Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones ... I felt something was going on in my favor.

"It doesn't add much pressure on me. Obviously he wanted to get me, and I wanted to come here."

Jones is the brother of Thomas Jones, the No. 6 overall pick by the Arizona Cardinals four years ago and a free agent the Cowboys had interest in before he signed with Chicago.
  2. FoldedSpace

FoldedSpace Member

174 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Wow...explains the inner workings of the Universe *and* writes articles about football.
  3. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol

I noticed that, too. Good stuff.
  4. FoldedSpace

FoldedSpace Member

174 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh, good article too, btw.
  5. jdnalls

jdnalls New Member

1,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At least he wanted to come here... but then again so did Steven Jackson, Greg Jones, and a few others...

Let's just hope he pans out.