1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: DL Hargrove earns another chance after a year out of the game

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,173 Messages
    5,719 Likes Received
    By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove hadn’t given up on his NFL career, but he admits he wondered if he would get another chance.

Whether it was his role in the New Orleans Saints’ Bountygate, his release from the Green Bay Packers last summer, his year out of football, his injury lawsuit against the NFL or the fact that he turns 30 this summer, Hargrove’s phone didn’t ring until the Dallas Cowboys called.

“Sitting out for a year, you don’t know where life is heading,” Hargrove said Tuesday during the Cowboys’ first organized team activity. “I understand how this game works, and when you don’t have a year of film, people are less inclined to bring you in, because they don’t have enough film to evaluate you on. It put me at a disadvantage, but you know God is good and it always works out.”

hough his suspension eventually was reduced to two games, Hargrove said it “took my earning power away” and wishes “people would have treated it differently.” But he insists he has moved on.

Instead of playing football, Hargrove spent last season working for Acclaim Care, a residential program for mentally challenged adults in Richmond, Va.

“It puts life into perspective,” Hargrove said. “It’s easy to feel bad for yourself because so much stuff happens to you. But when you’re able to sit down with someone who’s much less fortunate than you are, life definitely comes in place. You understand, ‘Hey, my life isn’t that bad.’”

Read the rest: www.star-telegram.com/2013/05/23/4880422/cowboys-dl-hargrove-earns-another.html
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hope it works out.

:)
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,625 Messages
    6,390 Likes Received
    Maybe he's just an enigma for trouble. Hard to say.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,243 Messages
    1,574 Likes Received
    I liked the Sims signing last year for the fact that he was a guy with something to prove, and he played pretty well. Hopefully we get the same out of Hargrove.
  5. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,663 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I like that comparison.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,843 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    $800,000 a year.

That can hire 16 public school teachers. :bang2:
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    Can any of those teachers play DT? :D
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    That isn't the problem. Firing the bad ones is.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    hopefully he has a chip on his shoulders and wants to prove that he can still play the game...I would target the saints game as one place where he will have extra motivation