1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Dungy's Romo analysis not welcomed by Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Dungy's Romo analysis not welcomed by Cowboys
    Posted Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 0 Comments Print Share Buzz up!Reprints
    By Jan Hubbard

jhubbard@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Wade Phillips wasn't aware of Tony Dungy's latest attack on the Dallas Cowboys, but when he was told, he had a humorous response.

Last year, Dungy irritated the Cowboys by saying they had no chance to beat an undefeated Saints team in New Orleans -- and he proved to be lacking as a prognosticator as the Cowboys defeated the Saints 24-17.

Then on Sunday, Dungy said on NBC that the Cowboys' Tony Romo is lacking as a quarterback and a leader.

"Part of being a leader at the quarterback position is protecting the football," Dungy said. "You've got to do that to be a great quarterback."

That was after Romo was intercepted three times in the loss to Tennessee.

Phillips said that in a 1977 game when he was on the Houston Oilers' staff and they were playing Pittsburgh, Dungy was forced to come in the game as the quarterback after starter Terry Bradshaw and backup Mike Kruczek were knocked out of the game with injuries.

"He turned it over several times," Phillips said. "I believe he fumbled the first snap."

In that game, Dungy completed only 3 of 8 passes for 43 yards and was intercepted twice.

Dungy also was convenient in his criticism. He failed to mention that Romo had a career-low nine interceptions in 2009, which tied him for third fewest in the league among quarterbacks who started all 16 games.

Romo responded on Thursday by saying that Dungy was not qualified to judge his leadership skills because Dungy had never attended a Cowboys practice.

"He can come along if he wants to see," said Romo, who invited Dungy to attend Dallas practices. "He can see it anytime you're out here. That's just part of it. If you'd ask any of my coaches, you'd probably get a different answer. If Tony Dungy was in here, it'd be the same way."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/14/2548357/dungys-romo-analysis-not-welcomed.html#ixzz12QgiohQ4
  2. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    there is a little fire in phillips you like to see :)
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,236 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Dungy is such an idiot. He sounds as dumb as a tree stump whenever he talks.
  4. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    What a stupid comment by Philips. What has the player Dungy with the trainer Dungy to do ? Not being able to perform on the field doesn't mean he isn't right.

I like the fire Philips is showing. But he could have done it more straight forward. And the same goes for Romo. Why not just say: "If that's his point of view and it makes him happy then keep it up. We don't care about others opinion. We do it our way."
  5. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,236 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Romo one-uped that. He's saying Dungy doesn't know what he's talking about (which he never does unless it involves thugs) and he's welcome to come to Cowboys practice and get an education. That's exactly what I want to hear.
  6. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

77 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was pretty silly of Wade to bring up Dungy's playing career...it had nothing to do with his comments.
    The thing is, as an analyst, Dungy gets paid to say the stuff he does and if it creates a little controversy, that's a good thing for the network because it means people will continue to watch. He isn't doing anything wrong, it's his job to say that stuff. And if he's doing anything at all to light a fire under the Cowboys or making them feel disrespected, that's a good thing too because someone needs to. So please Tony Dungy keep talking...
  7. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I guess we're 1-3 due to a rare alignment of the planets.....this team's collective skin is thinner than cheap toilet paper.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Well, no one has more int's than Favre...I guess he won't make the hall of fame...they usually like some leadership skills.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,591 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Dungy is one of those that is probably a great person.

But he couldnt win squat in Tampa.
    Goes to Indy and Manning makes up for coaching deficiencies and they win SB.
  10. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, but the fact that he clearly suggests that Romo doesn't protect the ball does. He cherry picked a stupid comment based on a dated perception of Romo from two years ago. Welcome to 2010, Dungy.
  11. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Out of curiosity, is there a way that they could have responded that wouldn't have led you to this same conclusion?

Somehow I doubt it.
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I always thought Dungy was a DB not a QB. :confused:
  13. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

77 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was, but he was their emergency QB also.
  14. StarWiz2

StarWiz2 Member

138 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Dungy's right. A lot of times, Romo looks more like a boy scout lost in the woods than a QB in charge. Especially in the playoffs where the Cowboys get shellacked with the regularity of metamucil.

But do I put the blame on Romo? Absolutely not. Can he be a leader? Absolutely. Unfortunately, his progress is being held back by a coaching staff that couldn't navigate a rubber ducky out of bath water, or win a war if they had Zeus on their side. Additionally, he's stuck with an owner who has suddenly decided to stick his head in the sand, hoping things will get better, rather than a decisive owner who could see his super bowl talented team being driven into the ground and would fire Phillips immediately to salvage the season.

Romo would be Joe Montana deadly if he had the kind of coaching that Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, or Tom Brady have.
  15. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's hard to believe Philips, Romo or anyone would criticise Dungy for those comments. What did he say? A QB isn't a good leader if he keeps giving up the football. DUH? No Kidding! That's a big leap of intelect? That's the big slight to the Cowboys? Ridiculous!

And for Philips to compare the performance of an emergency QB thrown into a game with hardly no prep to that of his starting QB is a complete joke. I've defended Wade before but this is garbage.

Romo does have to protect the ball better. It's been a problem for him in the past, he did much better last year but it's shown up again this year, along with all the other problems the teams' been having.
  16. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Its hard to place blame for four of those interceptions, those go on the receivers. IMO he has done a very good job protecting the football the last season and a quarter.
  17. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're joking right? Cause you have it backwards. Dungy built the team that Gruden won with. I think if he was given one more year Dungy would have won with that team. Then Dungy went to indy and built that team into the perrennial favourites they've been for the past 10 years and won a superbowl.

Coaching deficiencies? Please. You've been watching too many Cowboys games. Dungy's teams NEVER had Wade's problems with penalties and lack of discipline and passion.

Are you one of the guys that thinks Gruden would come in here and get us a ring in 1 year?
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The stupid thing Dungy said was blaming turnovers on Romo that had nothing to do with Romo.

It clearly shows that Dungy didn't even watch the games.
  19. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This.

....and conveniently using one game in which a player performs well to base a statement about a players overall "greatness" is pretty damn dumb. Ex-coach or not, Dungy should know better than this. Romo's ball security has been outstanding for quite some time now. Even in this case, only one of those INT's can really be pinned exclusively on Romo.
  20. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right. Romo's play is definetely not the major reason for the teams' struggles. And I think he's a very good leader. However, so far this season hasn't been as good as last in terms of his decision making. There's room for improvement for Romo as well.