1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Garrett beware: Jones preaches patience but also says Cowboys don't have time

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 6, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,380 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    Clarence Hill

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones tried his best to distance himself from the rumor surrounding Saints coach Sean Payton on his radio show on Tuesday.

Jones, however, was more convoluted when it came time to talk about the status of his own coach, Jason Garrett.

On one hand, Jones preached patience and even compared Garrett to Tom Landry and Bill Belichick, who struggled early in their careers before winning Super Bowl titles and becoming legends.

"You have to look at his short tenure and potential for the future," Jones said. "Yes I made a coaching change with coach who only been here two years (Chan Gailey). I regretted it. That was not the thing I should have done. It's one of the few things I would take back as far the coaching thing. Look at Belichick being fired in Cleveland and ends up at New England. The books are full of coaches who started slow and ended up doing an outstanding job. I don't have to remind you of Coach Landry's early years."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-dont-have-time-for-him-to-learn-on-the-.html
  2. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

3,635 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    Yea let's compare Jason to two of the best coaches ever!
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,459 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Landry built a team from scratch with cast offs and I dont recall him leaving points on the field with missed game management often.
  4. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,456 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    No truer words...
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't like comparing JG to Landry but it's pretty funny that you think Garrett took over an all-star team. If you ask me, they were a bunch of cast-offs; aside from Ware, Romo and Witten. That's 3 of 52. Keep swinging though!
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,176 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Right, the 11-5 team that won the East the year before was made up of a bunch of castoffs. :cool:

I guess Wade Phillips was a greater HC than anyone knew.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,459 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I never said it was an all start team but that team sent a bunch to the pro-bowl and had a good record. The flaw was that the team was built by a poor gm so it had lots of shinny toys & high risk/reward guys but was lacking in depth, young talent and both lines.

Romo alone is a huge piece of the puzzle that didnt exist in 1960.

Jason could have the all-time all Madden team and he would still be a poor OC and still make high school level game time coaching mistakes.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,178 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Ratlif for one
    Austin is certainly decent

there are a fair number of other good players you ignore
    But then agendas demand reality be ignored

Fact is that the 2010 team was certainly playoff capable.

How else was a 5-3 record and being in every game against some of the best teams in the NFL not showing that the team had talent?
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,572 Messages
    2,738 Likes Received
    I'm a huge Garrett fan (still am, no need to snark), but even if I weren't, I agree with Jerry that it's good policy to give any coaching hire 3 years to implement a...process...and enough leeway to do it legitimately. That would be a guideline for me, and not a rule, but not until and unless I saw my team absolutely give up and mail in the end of a season would I make a change, and even then, unless I had the guy I wanted already on staff, I wouldn't do it mid-season.

You're never going to find the right guy if you don't give him what he wants for his program and you don't give him the resources he tells you he needs to make things work. That should go for any coach, and should apply even in the midst of a three-game losing streak.
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Well, that is exactly what Jerruh the risk taker sees. He can feel it. Its his gut feeling that he knows he can trust!
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,112 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    6 Pro Bowlers in 2008:

TE Jason Witten
    C Andre Gurode
    T Flozell Adams
    G Leonard Davis.
    DT Jay Ratliff
    LB Demarcus Ware

7 Pro Bowlers in 2009

QB Tony Romo
    TE Jason Witten
    WR Miles Austin
    G Leonard Davis
    DT Jay Ratliff
    LB Demarcus Ware
    CB Terrence Newman

5 Pro Bowlers in 2010

C Andre Gurode
    P Mat McBriar
    DT Jay Ratliff
    LB DeMarcus Ware
    TE Jason Witten

Not a bunch of castoffs if you ask me.
  12. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware Jason was a head coach in 2008 and 2009. Punters don't count. What was the record when JG took over?
  13. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The 2010 team was playoff capable? lol What was our record the first 10 games? Yeah, Wade had us heading in the right direction.

You're right, agendas demand reality be ignored.
  14. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    So basically you're fluffing up the 2010 team when Garrett took over.

I will say that we do need an OC though.
  15. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

3,635 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    Ha! Jerry is such a clown.
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,380 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    That's actually how I feel about things. I'm not pro or anti JG. I do believe a coach has to be given time to implement his program. The only saving grace for JG is that his team hasn't quit on him.

I wasn't against Wade, but when it became obvious that he'd lost the team, then that's when I felt it was time for him to go. I'm not at that point with JG, yet.
  17. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,754 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I'm still not ready to give up on Red. I think we are moving in the right direction regardless of what our record is currently.
  18. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,050 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, I do not see Garrett fired at the end of the season. However, there is one saving grace and that Payton is now in the fold.

That is the one coach who I believe will make JJ think twice about keeping Garrett. If he really wants SP, he is going to have to act fast and make a change soon.

If Sean's contract was never voided, then I am almost positive Jason gets another year, barring a complete meltdown. But, now there is some wiggle room and Sean will not be available in 2014, it has to be for next season.

Having said all of this, I think Sean stays in NO but if Jerry was going to fire JG, it will be by the end of the season with his replacement(Payton) already in place.

Sean is the only coach out there that would make Jones give up on Garrett this early, IMO.
  19. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,059 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Uh, what his record now?
  20. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,059 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    But shouldn't we see progress along the way?