1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: His pay sliced in half, Free gets a fresh start

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 30, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    By Gil LeBreton

glebreton@star-telegram.com

As Free struggled last season after being moved from left tackle to right tackle, the Cowboys’ running game stalled, quarterback Tony Romo scrambled for elbow room, and the offensive line was singled out for off-season renovations.

What a year it must have been for Doug Free.

“I would never go that far,” Free said Monday, when asked if he felt the weight of the Cowboys’ world on his shoulders. “The main thing as a player is you’ve got to go out and do your job. If you’re not doing your job, you’re going to hear about it.

“Whether it was my fault or not, what people were saying really didn’t matter. It was just a matter of me staying focused on what I have to do and go out and play better.”

Read the rest: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/29/5039342/his-pay-sliced-in-half-free-gets.html
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    I guess that hit right in the wallet got his attention once and for all
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    My hope is Free can return to the form he showed leading up to the contract extention. I think moving from right tackle to left tackle then back again to RT hurt him in his development.
    jobberone likes this.
  4. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Awesome, from what I've heard Free has looked great. If we can solve the right tackle problem from the inside that would be a huge help. On their best days, I believe Free is 10x better than Parnell.
    jobberone likes this.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,072 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I want to see the 2009 free out there on the field... That guy was playing well.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    That was part of it, but he did play better over the last quarter of the season-- by far.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received

Not by far in anyones imagination but yours
  8. MichaelWinicki

32,173 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Even the Cowboys braintrust has said that Free played better at the end of the season... Oh yeah, they're lying.

If you have some proof that Free didn't please share. ;)
  9. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

959 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Well if you only get half the snaps you were getting you will only look half as bad..
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    I just hope he is consistent every week. He just needs to be solid, not spectacular.

I do agree that moving him around was not a good idea and, with more technique work this off-season, he will improve overall.
    jobberone likes this.
  11. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    My hope as well. Thus far things have been going good for Free he needs to keep it going.
  12. Zimmy Lives

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Free always had athleticism so maybe his biggest challenge to date has been the mental side?
  13. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I don't know. I know when he came in for Colombo he did a very good job at RT. He then is moved to LT and struggles, he is then moved back to the RT last season and struggles. Now in his back to back season at RT he is at least looking good in camp. Did the switch cause his loss of confidence? maybe it did, maybe it didn't however if he can go out and produce as he did when he 1st took over RT then great.
  14. Zimmy Lives

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Possibly. I just think he is not too bright and it takes time for him to pick things up. :)
  15. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    reading comprehension is something you continually fail at.

Somehow you seem to think doing better is the same as DOING FAR BETTER. Sad to tell you but that is NOT the case.
  16. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    obviously I want free to succeed. if he does well, the offense does well. however, at the end of the day i think he is just an average player. i think everyone (the team, fans, me) overrated him when he took over for colombo. Colombo was soooo bad at the end (somewhere ray edwards just beat him again) that anyone would have looked good by comparison.
    jobberone likes this.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,173 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    I hope you maintain your normally cheery demeanor as you watch Free trot out there as the starter this season.
    jobberone and Idgit like this.
  18. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    True Colombo played poor vs Minn does not change the fact over the last 6 games of 09 season Free played very well, not in comparison he just played good ball
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,169 Messages
    4,348 Likes Received
    Winner winner chicken dinner.
    jobberone likes this.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I'm not going to get my hopes up on the guy but what a fortunate turn of events it would be for him to actually play well as a full time starter.

One season he's playing awful at a cap hit that is entirely unacceptable and the next he is playing well at a cap hit that is very good value.

I don't even want to entertain the idea but if he can somehow play well enough the OL could be okay. With better play from Free and assumedly better play from the center position, the team might be able to make it work.

A lot of people think Free's problem is largely confidence. If that really is the case, who knows what to expect once he gets beaten a time or two. He could lose all the wind in his sails and be the guy getting embarrassed over and over again.

Only time will tell I guess.