1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Hurd, other Dallas Cowboys veterans in danger of not making cut

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 24, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,350 Messages
    4,312 Likes Received
    Posted Monday, Aug. 23, 2010

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys are again shopping receiver Sam Hurd, an NFL source said.

The Cowboys have denied they are actively pursuing a trade for Hurd, admitting only that "teams have called about him" but they "are not ready to do anything yet."

Yet is the operative word.

Hurd's $1.8 million salary makes it unlikely that he will survive the final cuts.

Although he might be the team's best special teams player, he is also the sixth receiver on the depth chart. The Cowboys do not want to pay that much money to him to cover kicks when they can get a younger player with a cheaper salary.

With that in mind, the first cut from 80 to 75 players is Aug. 31. And considering that the starters will play the bulk of the way in Saturday's preseason game against the Houston Texans, some decisions have already come into focus.

2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    Not sure how I feel about that.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i agree man.. there's no reason to be talking about cutting a guy just for the sake of saving money in a season without a cap.

if he got beat by a cheaper player fair and square then fine. but to potentially worsen our special teams coverage to save a million-ish bucks makes no sense . there are other ways to get that cash if jerry really needed it and not hurt his team.
  4. dcboy

dcboy Member

178 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Exactly, this is the one year where we don't need to worry about who makes what. If Hurd gets beat, then fine, but his salary shouldn't be a consideration this year.
  5. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,362 Messages
    142 Likes Received

The salary difference between Sam Hurd and an UDFA is significant. It would exceed a million dollars. I don't know the exact numbers but would probably closer to $1.3+ MILLION DOLLARS. I don't think Jerry would ruin the franchise over $1.3 mill, but if it was a pretty close call on special teams ability and the cheaper player had more upside as a receiver I have a feeling it wouldn't upset him to save $1.3 mill and shore up the receiver position contemporaneously.
  6. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,436 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    This is how I feel about it.

If RW doesn't show me a lot in the next 2 weeks I cut his arse and keep Hurd. With his ST play and knowledge of the offense Hurd is better deal.
  7. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

941 Messages
    8 Likes Received

Amen....
  8. te0002

te0002 Member

820 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see Holly beating out Hurd. Holly is years aways from being an NFL WR and does anyone really think Holly vs. Hurd on ST's is an close match-up? Sure the team would like to save some cash, but I don't see Holly being a substitute for Hurd on ST's.

All of the other's on the list I don't mind letting go. The Cowboys don't need 3 QB's. Primarily b/c McGee hasn't shown much improvement in the speed of his decision-making; and this team doesn't have much of a chance if Romo goes down anyway - certainly not if McGee, or any third QB, had to play.

Watkins has shown us what he is and McCray and/or Church are his equal on ST's.

McQuistan - enough said

Anderson - everyone seems to like him b/c of his physical play, but I think Gronkowski brings more overall skill to the position.