1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jeff Heath highlights his rise from the bottom and Cowboys' push for takeaways

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,457 Messages
    4,412 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Rookie safety Jeff Heath put a charge into AT&T Stadium with his hit on Bengals receiver Cobi Hamilton, knocking the ball loose for one of the Cowboys’ four takeaways in the preseason game Saturday night.

The fans liked the hit. But the play also highlighted both Heath’s rise from the bottom of the roster and the Cowboys’ emphasis on creating turnovers.

“It wasn’t one of those where I’m going to try to punch or chip it, but I knew where the ball was,” Heath said. “I tried to put my helmet on the ball. You know, as a tackler, you want to put your helmet on the ball. If you put your helmet across his body, it’s got a chance to hit the ball.”

Heath, an undrafted rookie from Saginaw Valley State, is playing second-team safety with third-round pick J.J. Wilcox. Heath has moved ahead of veterans Danny McCray, Eric Frampton and Micah Pellerin, 2012 draft pick Matt Johnson and fellow undrafted rookie Jakar Hamilton.

Read more here:
    http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...he-bottom-and-cowboys-push-for-takeaways.html
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,934 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    This guy has to be Johnson's replacement. Similar skillset, stays on the field.
  3. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,553 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    If this guy is giving you everything you thought Johnson was when you drafted him then there is no way you can let this guy go to keep Johnson. Pretend Heath is that 4th round pick and move forward with him.
    Wheeltax likes this.
  4. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

966 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    That's pretty cool - yeah, you almost have to let Johnson go and keep this guy.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Similar in what way exactly?
    Iago33 likes this.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,934 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    They are white....

Kidding. In the little I've seen of them, it seems like they are both pretty athletic guys, good tacklers, more of a physical presence than ball hawks. Probably going to be fundamentally sound, but never be the All Pro type.
  7. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I think Heath has an excellent chance to make the team this year.
  8. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

887 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    If you look at Heath's pro day numbers, he is actually a little faster than Johnson. High 4.4 range. 22 reps. 37 inch vert. He plays a little stiff, but I like the guy. He'll find a way onto the roster. I think Matty Icetub is gone.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,496 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    he will get his chance to play tonight
  10. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    What's Heath doing tonight?