1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jennifer Floyd Engel: GM Jerry isn't the way to go

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cbz40, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Posted on Tue, Feb. 27, 2007

LITTLE BALLS OF HATE

GM Jerry isn't the way to go

By Jennifer Floyd Engel
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Owner Jones and GM Jerry are sort of like Dr. David Banner and his alter ego, The Incredible Hulk.

Only difference is our fearless Cowboy leader is real.

It has to be a biology quirk that such diverse personas can be kicking around in the same brain. There is Owner Jones using his genius for good -- spending money, caring deeply and never ducking from his critics.

Then there is GM Jerry, a risk-taking, consequences-be-damned maverick with a penchant for screwing up.

What is also clear is that the former cannot control the latter.

Of course, Owner Jones told reporters Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine that "I don't think our fans should be concerned" about him being back in charge at Valley Ranch.

OK, nothing in his history as GM suggests we should be anything other than concerned. Does he think we have forgotten the reach to draft Q-Car and trading No. 1 picks for Joey Galloway, to name a few of his Hulk-ish blunders?

Nobody has. The hope was the Coach Parcells Years might convince Owner Jones the importance of hiring and listening to and following the edicts of an honest-to-goodness football man.

That definitely backfired.

The Cowboys failed to win a playoff game under Bill -- further convincing Owner Jones that his way, allowing GM Jerry to be the final authority on all football matters is a good idea.

"Whether I am right or wrong, I feel like it's the best way to do it," Owner Jones said.

He is wrong. It is not the best way to do it. And just like when Dr. David went green and his darker side took control, when GM Jerry becomes the final say on all football matters it is a sign to be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

New campaign: Sign Michael Young. Now.

Dangerous game: Everybody is talking about how lucky the Stars are to have two goalies going strong. I do not think it is quite so cute. It is good they are winning games, but it does not answer the question:

Is Marty the goalie to carry them in the playoffs?

Just wondering: Why exactly are Barry Bonds and his lawyer worried about his cooperation in George Mitchell's steroids probe coming back to bite him in his perjury case -- if he didn't actually take steroids?

That's an ender: Welcome aboard, Brian Stewart, and good luck with Roy Williams.

Jennifer Floyd Engel can be heard weekdays 9 a.m.-noon on The Little Ball of Hate Show on ESPN/103.3 FM.
    Jennifer Floyd Engel, 817-390-7760 jenfloyd@star-telegram.com
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Thanks Mr. Mcgee.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,197 Messages
    5,428 Likes Received
    I thought it was McGoo.
  4. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We have a winner. Your prize a 10' by 10' color portrait autographed picture of Jenny. You deserve it!!!!!! :)
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,197 Messages
    5,428 Likes Received
    Actually, I was wrong. It is Magoo. Here is your picture of Jerry Jones back. :cool:
  6. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

And a good morning to you......cough cough!! Sir. :D
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,784 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    The hag is getting really boring. She has only two strings to her bow; hatred of TO and hatred of JJ. With BP gone, she is getting more and more bitter and twisted. Pathetic.
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Sad sad article. Well all I can say its JJ's team, he bought it and he is paying the players. Its his deceision on how he wants to run things. I prefer someone who takes risks to someone who doesn't. I mean it could be worse, we could have Dan Snyder as our owner, little Napolean himself!
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    JFE: "Nothing in his [Jerry Jones] history as GM suggests we should be anything other than concerned."

Yeyt, JFE, especailly those 3 Super Bowls that are part of his history. Those have me most concernd than anything. :rolleyes:

Why do newspapers let novices like JFE write this kind of garbage? I mean really !?!?!? :confused:

AF
  10. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Mr. McGee

[IMG]

Mr. Magoo
  11. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,713 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Since she got her knew gig has she written any positive pieces? I'm at the point of skipping any article with her name on it and this is saying a lot because this time of year I am always starved for any Cowboy information. Now I am starved for any Cowboys information without the name Jenny attached to it. Ahhhhh, I feel better already.:cool:
  12. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good article. Right on the nosey.
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,129 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    At first I wondered why Jerry Jones would even give this person an interview, or let her come to press conferences, if all she is going to write is ridiculous hateful opinions, and negative stuff.

Then it dawned on me, he just doesn't give a crap about anything she writes. I have been taking that stance for quite some time myself.

He just doesn't care, she could write whatever she wants, and it affects Jerry like the weather in Canada affects him

It's just easier to let her hang around the Cowboys and ignore her, than to stop her from coming around.

LBOH = Large Bags of Horse-manure
  14. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Jennifer Floyd Engel - Motto - I'm more timely than TheProphet, and more obsessed than p.b.
  15. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I couldn't agree more. Jones as GM is a long term disaster. Parcells restocked a talentless team that was put together by Jones.
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    She is just like the Jerry hating clowns on this board ..... Agenda first ..... Fan second.
  17. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True. Hopefully Ireland is the real deal and Jerry listens to him.
  18. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,129 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    I just think that if it actually did bother him he wouldn't give her such free access to the Cowboys.

But you are right, agendas are an ugly thing, and usually transparent.
  19. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Time will tell; I'm in no hurry.

Who am I to interfere with a man and his hobby?
  20. braw

braw Member

765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why this writer continues a bashing campaign towards the Cowboys owner is beyond me. The same owner that has 3 Super Bowls under his belt ( those were achieved when the rules were different). Has JJ ajusted to the new rules? (it must be hard to change what was working/ but the league mandated a rule change that destroyed your team)

When the rules changed (IMO) Jerry the owner was more concerned with the league as a whole(more market visibility, and a better product) than his team. The NFL brand and company is the leader in sports and Jerry the owner was a huge part of it. Yes, JJ has a obligation towards fans of his team, but he also has obligation towards his fellow bretheren(investors ) in the league.

Make no mistake the guy knows football ( the guy was a player who played on a National Championship team) and his teamamate helped him make a dynasty.

Yet this LBOH thinks she knows more than a man who has helped built a dynasty in Dallas before and has helped build a great company of football like the NFL.:rolleyes: