1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jerry Jones says Cowboys will be in 4-3 'for quite some time'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 22, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,961 Messages
    3,910 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Jerry Jones said he thinks the Cowboys will be in the 4-3 defensive scheme “for quite some time,” and that head scout Tom Ciszkowski and executive vice president Stephen Jones still remember how to pick players for it.

“We’ve got a pretty good feel and a good base of our scouts, with Tom leading the way and Stephen having been here for years and years, that know what 4-3 defensive players look like,” Jones said.

“In general, I’d say that our scheme is influencing – our anticipated defensive scheme is influencing to some degree the kind of safeties or the kind of linemen, especially, that we’re looking at,” Jones said. “The good news is we really are in good shape over on the defensive side of the ball where that scheme is.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...and-havent-forgotten-how-to-draft-for-it.html
  2. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    we used to have a pretty solid 4-3 with Zimmer
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,998 Messages
    440 Likes Received
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    But we hated him ...

GROZ !!!
  5. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    There are plenty of things to like about both fronts, but I really do prefer the even man front.

But more than anything, I like having an organizational philosophy. I am sure that some people will disagree with me, but I think the best organizations have an idea about how they want to do things, and they don't change on a whim every couple of years according to coaches or fads.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,296 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Its also no surprise that the best defensive front against an option/read offense is the 43 and a lot of teams are moving to the style of offense now.

Makes sense to change to 43 if most of your competition is running a pistal style offense.
  7. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

274 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    It's to adapt to what our division foes are doing.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Well I"m glad that Stephen is onboard and remembers how to scout for 4-3 players.

Is it a wonder that we can't consistently get to the playoffs or win games when we get there?
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I like the move to the 4-3 since our personnel right now arguably fits it as well as the 3-4 does. I also think with more and more teams shifting to the 3-4 it will get progressively harder to find those 3-4 OLBs who need to have length, strength and speed. We have also played this 3-4 without an ideal NT from the second year on and are arguably worse off there than we have ever been before with Rat hurt and Brent facing jail time.

I think the key will be regularly drafting DL in premium rounds again. In that vein, I am happy that Marinelli is here since he has a great track record with DL wherever he has been. He knows how to find them and teach them. This looks like a good year to take one in the first and second round to rebuild those trenches. If we then get Brent back and Crawford continues to develop we may be okay for the future and can let Spencer and Rat go.
  10. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,146 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I caught that too.

"vice president Stephen Jones still remember how to pick players for it."

Why is Stephen Jones picking anything? He have some special training or background or talent that we don't know about?
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,380 Messages
    1,869 Likes Received
    Amid all the talk about new Dallas defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin changing the Cowboys from a 3-4 to a 4-3 front, Kiffin himself says that talk is largely overblown.

“They drafted for a 3-4 defense here, but believe it or not, you actually do have some people that can play a 4-3,” Kiffin told reporters Thursday. “A 3-4 or 4-3 doesn’t matter. Last time I checked you’ve got 11 guys on the field. Not eight, not nine, not 10 — we have 12, that’s not good, either, you get a penalty. But you’ve got 11 guys out there and it doesn’t matter 3-4 or 4-3.”

Kiffin said that what really matters is that his players play hard, play fast and play together as a team.

The last part I fully agree with Kiffin that is how this defense can get back to the top.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/15/monte-kiffin-3-4-or-4-3-doesnt-matter/
  12. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,466 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    He had 1 or 2 good seasons and a few disastrous seasons.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,754 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    It was real great in 2004 when it was almost as bad as our 2010 defense.

:bang2:

YR
  14. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received

I am curious if it will cost us more, or less to maintain the "front seven" in a 4-3 vs a 3-4.
  15. hookemhorns72

hookemhorns72 Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!
    Should have never switched! I guess I'm kinda a traditionalist. Landry, the inventor of the 4-3 and we, the Cowboys, aren't implementing some way?! I would've been more open to a hybrid than fully changing to the 3-4.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I agree.

I was never a fan of the switch. It wasn't Cowboy football to me.
  17. hookemhorns72

hookemhorns72 Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know hind sight is 20/20 but what did it accomplish by switching? Some could argue that we might have never drafted Ware. But I think he is going to be a beast at DE!
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    3,943 Likes Received
    Please don't tell me Stephen Jones is making picks. My God....