1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jerry Jones says he dreams of linebackers like 49ers' Willis and Bowman.

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,662 Messages
    6,399 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Jerry Jones laid out his vision of what he wants the Cowboys’ inside linebackers to look like – fast from sideline to sideline, like Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman of the San Francisco 49ers.

“We all watched Bowman and Willis out there, and boy, did those guys make a difference,” Jones said this week in an interview with the NFL Network at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

“This is my dream,” Jones said. “It’s not exactly the prototype for the makeup of the two guys you’d want in the middle – you might want more of a thumper, a big guy, to go along with Sean Lee. But if we can keep both those guys out there, adjust our defense, we might be going toward Bowman and Willis area like they have in San Francisco.”​

Read the rest: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...llis-and-bowman-will-carter-and-lee-work.html
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Carter is going to be a nice revelation in 2012.
  3. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like how Jerry Jones is beginning to infuse upon Jason Garrett what the makeup of his defense is going to look like.

And so the destruction begins...
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dreamed about Felix Jones hanging 137 total yards on the Giants (22 touches) and rushing for 106 yards (16-106) and 6.62 YPC. Oh, yeah. That was real. The Cowboys are going to win the NFC East...

Then, I get to the nightmare part or the last 5:41 of my dream. (Why didn't someone wake me up?)

Unfortunately, that was real, too.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,167 Messages
    6,960 Likes Received
    You can tell Jerry's excited about him. He was also predicting Carter to come on at the end of this season. I hope he gets his run fits all down and displays some of the speed and the pop he's shown on special teams. He could be a hell of a player.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    he can be a hell of a player for us next year, with that speed to cover and rush the passer, CAN'T WAIT for at least March to know we are signing people!!!
  7. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The article is a little odd I can't think of any team that wouldn't dream of having a Willis in their LB group Bowman is a good 2nd to Willis.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    I remember Maclin getting flattened against us on a punt by what looked like a bus wearing #54 and thinking "who is that!"

I'm really excited about him.
  9. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......with seeing if Carter can be "that guy". I'm not enamored with drafting guys that are hurt like that, regardless of their talent: 2 years in a row, but overall, they did the right thing and didn't rush him back. I hope like heck the kid is what you guys think he can be: you might even say: I'm DREAMING he's the real deal.:rolleyes:

PS: I also have a "dream" of having a real GM some day: Yeah, I know: keep dreaming..........
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Well, we all know that 250 lb linebackers who run 4.38 40 times grow on trees.

YR
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    I hope so.

That could be quite the dynamic duo right there. Bruce Lee.
  12. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    the " Jerry Jumpers " start getting ready to wet their pants, just know that, as always ( and Mike Fisher used to say ), Jerrah is just parroting his coaches' ideas and suggestions and not trying to design any game plans..
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I see that I'm too late already.
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Finally Jerry! I have been clamoring for this for years. Our ILB's stink. (BTW this does not include Lee here) James, God love him, was solid, but not a playmaker, and slow. He had one good/great year when he had the 8 sacks or so. The same with Brooks...just a stop gap. Then all the Tom Foolery of Carpenter, Burnett, Zach Thomas, etc. etc.

In order for any defense to work we need playmakers inside. We all saw what Lee could do. Imagine if Carter is as good, or better? We will be a force and won't be that far away with two stud ILB's. They are the heart of the defense and make all the tackles.

The only thing I'm worried about is Carter. I'm not sure he has the instincts of Lee. He always seemed to be the last guy to the tackle, once the player was already on the ground. Maybe because he was confused and still learning? What I'm trying to say is he never seemed "reactionary" to me. Hopefully it was just the injury and being "green".

We still need some depth. We cannot afford another year like last year. At times it was almost we were playing a 5-1-4. With Lee being the only ILB out there!
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Watching Willis last week was impressive. When he comes up to make the tackle he is text book, he hit and drives through the player and does not allow the extra yard
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Why would this contradict what Garrett wants? Everyone wants Carter to succeed.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    Yep.

It just so happens that he's the best ILB in football, IMO, as well.

And I'm pretty excited for Carter as well. If he's healthy and him and Lee can provide speed and athleticm to the ILB spot next year that's a real upgrade for us there.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,167 Messages
    6,960 Likes Received
    That's exactly the play I was thinking about. Pretty fast bus. I hope he can get the run defense down before the first game, because he looks like he's going to be a really good player to me. It's not obvious, the way it was with Sean Lee's rookie season, but he's fast and can hit. That's a good start.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,766 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    I think it is the implied idea that Jerry promotes a front office that drafts players and then expects the coaching staff to adjust the system to use them vs. a front office that drafts players that fit into the coaching staff's system.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Well, I don't doubt for one second that Ryan approved the pick. Does anyone? :confused:

I just don't see what the problem is here. Who else would Garrett or Ryan hope wins that job... Bradie or Brooking again?