1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Jones says a labor deal will be ultimately be struck by meaningful talks

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 18, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,262 Messages
    7,100 Likes Received
    Jones says a labor deal will be ultimately be struck by meaningful talks rather than anything court ordered or related

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said his focus and the league's focus is work toward a bargained agreement with the players.

He downplayed the court ordered mediation and the recent rulings by the court of appeals upholding the lockout.

"I do know this, that ultimately it’s going to be resolved by a collective bargained deal, which means talking," Jones said. " I know that there are certain planned talks, but that doesn’t preclude having other talks and communications. I think this ultimately won’t necessarily be resolved through something a court will dictate, such as that particular mediation. It’s ultimately going to be resolved in formal or informal bargaining and communication. I don’t get hung up on, ‘well, they don’t have a talk scheduled for this time or a talk scheduled that time. There’s nothing inordinate about picking up the phone and just talking directly to someone you’re talking with.’’

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ingful-talks-rather-than-anything-court-.html
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,262 Messages
    7,100 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones: Owners won't budge on players proposals about disbanding the draft, among other things

"I think we all recognize the benefit that a draft plays and so I think that’s one to point to that we don’t want to compromise -- those concepts relative to how talent is distributed," Jones said. "But that’s an example (of some of the proposals we don't like)... Of how we practice, some of the things we do in practices, some of the requirements we have of the veteran players – I think when you start looking at things in those areas, the team concept, we would be better served if that is dictated by the coaches and dictated by their needs to put the best team on the field as opposed to something that is a labor proposal."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...isbanding-the-draft-among-other-things-1.html
  3. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Why do I have a feeling Jerry is going to be instrumental in a deal getting done?
  4. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,622 Messages
    331 Likes Received

Cause salesmanship, and wheeling and dealing are integral parts of Jerry's existence?
  5. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,309 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Lol, he has tremendous initiative as well as very painstaking analysis and review on all phases of activity.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,280 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    It's going to take a lot more than Jerry's wheeling and dealing to get this done. But he could certainly help move things along. A rock slide has to start with at least one stone.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I think Hos is right. There are certain people in this world have that ability to make deals. They just have that certain something that allows them to close things that other people can not. Jerry definitely has that. I think he's going to play a significant role in this eventually.
  8. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I don't know. So far, he seems to have had a bit of a polarizing influence on negotiations. The whole fist-tapping incident may well have eroded any goodwill the players had for Jerry beyond repair.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,756 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Was that actually verified by anyone other than the media?
    :confused:
  10. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need "The Donald" to get involved.
  11. 5Stars

26,756 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Bro...if you have to sit in a room with Jerry during some kind of negotiation after a while listening to all his "ums".."let me make it clear"...*lip smack* ..."it's my belief" ..."Umm"..."to put it this way"...*lip smack*..."my stance is clear"...

DUDE! OK!! I agree...damn!:eek: :confused:

That's how he does his majik...;)
  12. Outlaw Heroes

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
  13. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I might be having selective amnesia but I don't remember a single player comment on it positively or negatively. I heard media comments. I'm not even sure I remember NFLPA* comments. And it certainly hasn't kept coming up since then.
  14. Outlaw Heroes

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    No, you're right. I haven't heard any comments from players, positively or negatively, other than through Trotter, who broke the story. I suppose he could have fabricated the whole thing, but I don't have cause to doubt him when he says he had four sources who were in the room.
  15. 5Stars

26,756 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    What about his wife, too?
    :cool:
  16. 5Stars

26,756 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    I could actually believe Jerry did pump his fist on the table to try and make a point, but not in a way to actually intimidate anyone.

Hell, I don't know...
    :rolleyes:
  17. Outlaw Heroes

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    My guess is that this is correct. He tapped his fists, but without meaning to intimidate. Jerry has many brillliant strengths. Communication isn't one of them.
  18. 5Stars

26,756 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  19. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,743 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    Because Jerry never failed at getting a deal done, especially deals that everyone feels good about.
  20. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Sounds like Jerry or Stephen will try to get to some of the more influential league players directly.:D