1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Josh Brent, facing intoxication manslaughter chargers, retires from Cowboys, avoids suspension

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,000 Messages
    5,482 Likes Received
    By Clarence Hill Jr

Arlington _ Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent, facing an intoxication manslaughter charge for his role in the death of practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown in a car wreck last December, has decided to retire from the NFL.

The Cowboys announced the news Thursday morning, one day before the team was to leave for training camp in Oxnard, Ca on Friday.

"This is the right decision for me, and something that I have given a lot of thought to. I am at a point where my main focus is all about getting the priorities in my life in order," Brent said in a statement.

"Those priorities are more important than football. Doing the right things in life are more important than football. I love the game very much. I love my teammates, but this is the right thing for me to do."

Brent's trail is Sept. 23 and he faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted, though he could get probation. The retirement has no impact on the criminal case. But it could indicate to the judge that he is trying to get his life together after a few recent setbacks.

Read more here:
    http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...s-retires-from-cowboys-avoids-suspension.html
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    so....could he AVOID a suspension by retiring for a year or two? Doesn't sound plausible but....stranger things have happened.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Avoided suspension?

That's like quitting in the 4th quarter so you can avoid losing.

He's not avoiding anything.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,290 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    Well he wouldn't be able to avoid it right? I mean if he came back to the NFL later they'd slap the suspension on him then probably. So that's just stupid.

I guess Jerry and Co. got lucky that this guy retired so that they wouldn't have to make the decision to cut him, which they should have done long ago.