1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Judgment day arrives for Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Judgment day arrives for Jason Garrett

By RANDY GALLOWAY
    rgalloway@ star-telegram.com

We are halfway down the path of rose petals on the way to the 2011 coronation of Red J as the new king of all things football at Valley Ranch.
    (Insert pause and deep sigh here.)
    Clarification: Jerry, the king of kings, has strongly objected to the above statement.
    Get me rewrite: If Jason Garrett, now working on a temporary Valley Ranch visa, is as successful in the Dallas Cowboys' final four games as he was in his first four on the job, then...
    Red J will be the head coach on a permanent basis.
    Under the reign of King Jerry, a head coach can be defined as anything from defiant battlefield commander to court jester. In more modern times, circa 1989 to 2010, that's defined as the difference between Jimmy and Wade, or Bill and Barry.
    The still unknown here is where Garrett would fit in an ongoing relationship with Jerry, which is the unfortunate circumstance any time there's a head coach opening for the Cowboys, which has been frequent under the King (four times this decade and three the past decade).
    It's not just about the football stuff; it's also about Jerry being allowed to be Jerry.
    But having said that, a month ago there were as many doubters about Garrett as supporters, and to hear the players now tell it, that doesn't just mean among the fandom.
    "Truthfully, I didn't know, really didn't have a clue, if Jason was the right guy," linebacker Bradie James, a team captain, said. "On the defensive side, we really didn't know him."
    That observation came in the visitors' locker room in Indy last week, right after the Cowboys had won their third game in four weeks under the Garrett interim watch, and after Bradie had said: "The way we're playing now [the 3-1 record includes road Ws against the Giants and Colts] that's about Jason Garrett, and that's about Paul Pasqualoni [who Garrett promoted to defensive coordinator after Wade was fired]."
    The irony is you hear more gushing lately about Garrett from those on the defensive side of the ball than even on offense, not that the praise doesn't come from the offensive players.
    That could be explained as those on defense really didn't deal with Jason before, which Brady said, but no one really saw this Garrett when he was strictly an offensive coordinator. In demeanor, he went from a background guy to an up-front head coach, demanding overall team discipline.
    But Garrett's future remains on hold. The next four games will certainly decide it, starting tonight at the Big Yard with the Mike Vick Motocross Tour in town.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/12/2697719/judgment-day-arrives-for-jason.html?#ixzz17sqd9VFR
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everyone knows that should read Coach Jones.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,434 Likes Received
    Randy Galloway

We are halfway down the path of rose petals on the way to the 2011 coronation of Red J as the new king of all things football at Valley Ranch.
    (Insert pause and deep sigh here.)

Clarification: Jerry, the king of kings, has strongly objected to the above statement.

Get me rewrite: If Jason Garrett, now working on a temporary Valley Ranch visa, is as successful in the Dallas Cowboys' final four games as he was in his first four on the job, then...

Red J will be the head coach on a permanent basis.

Under the reign of King Jerry, a head coach can be defined as anything from defiant battlefield commander to court jester. In more modern times, circa 1989 to 2010, that's defined as the difference between Jimmy and Wade, or Bill and Barry.

The still unknown here is where Garrett would fit in an ongoing relationship with Jerry, which is the unfortunate circumstance any time there's a head coach opening for the Cowboys, which has been frequent under the King (four times this decade and three the past decade).

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/12/2697719/judgment-day-arrives-for-jason.html#ixzz17u3kACfe
  4. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

953 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    sadly, yes...:(
  5. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    You know what, Garrett should coach the crap out of the last four games, then look for a job elsewhere.

Jerry is up to his old tricks already, this disaster of a season is not even over and 'humbled' Jerry is once again holding forth on all things coaching.

Unless a the new man gets an ironclad contract that guarantees total coaching control then not a lot will change.

Can Garrett get that? I don't know.

He is trying to right the ship, but it appears even a contrite Jerry doesn't want to, or is incapable of letting go. He completely undermines the head coach every week with his Tashard Choice nonsense and his Dez will return kicks next season garbage.

If Garrett can't get this to stop then a lot of what he is trying to build will be will come to naught.
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  7. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    So thats it, what are you post padding?

You took the time to .. oh forget it :laugh2:
  8. igtmfo

igtmfo Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Jason had Sean McDermott's number last year, OC vs. DC. McDermott is still with them.

So I think we're going to fare pretty good offensively for those two games.

Whether we can stop Vick and all the young guns there, another question.

Maybe a 48-45 score tonight.
  9. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,359 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    Anyone else noticing how every week someone writes if Garret wins this week then he is for sure going to get the permanent job? IMO as long as the players continue to play hard and put out maximun effort then the job is his.
  10. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,848 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Jerry might not want him as HC or Jason Garrett might not want to stay here, which would drive me go crazy.:bang2:

You never know what goes on in JJ's mind.
  11. hammer1

hammer1 New Member

684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  12. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

840 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Correctomundo.....although I believe Garrett already has the job if he wants it. I was afraid that any sign of success would have JJ going with Garrett permanently. As long as the players don't lay down for him like they did for Wade, the job is his.

If I was Garrett I would be coaching this season for leverage against Jerry. The more wins I get, the more demands I make----and first would be get out of my way Jerry.