1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Keith Brooking’s roster spot is safe as a starter or backup

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 15, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    With veteran Keith Brooking on the sideline for the last two weeks with a hamstring injury, Sean Lee has taken over at inside linebacker opposite Bradie James and played well.

What is certain though is Brooking’s place on the roster.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said is a big part of the team’s plans in 2011 and is not in jeopardy of being roster casualty because of a possible reduced role and a $2.2 million salary for this season.

Clarence Hill

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...afe-as-a-starter-or-backup.html#ixzz1V86Lu2BA

2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brooking is on the downside of his career and I hope Lee takes over as the starting inside LBer.
  3. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hmmm....I trust JG....but...man oh man...if Wade made that statement after a 6-10 season.....

IMHO...a vet that is injured and is in his twilight of his career.....shouldnt be guaranteed a roster spot. Im sorry...but Brooking isnt a Cowboy legend....

Brooking still should pove himself...especially with a new system that he can play at the level needed.

I dont think Brooking should get a free pass imho. Would Jimmy Genius do this? :)
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    I think Brooking will get limited duty. If he only counts $2.2M against the cap, you probably aren't going to get better play from someone for that amount.

I still think that he's going to be done after this year. Might even retire mid-season.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,102 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    I actually wish he would not be the guy that does the pre-game frenzied pep thingy. I'm not sure it's necessary and unless Ray Lewis is doing it, it seems phoney to me. My 2 cents only.

I do agree he can help, but prefer that Lee be the starter.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Brooking is cheap, smart and a team guy. That's very nice value. Doubtful he is cut, especially with Lee's injury history.