1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: FWST: Kevin Ogletree picking up the slack with absence of Austin and Bryant

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,208 Messages
    9,748 Likes Received
    Posted Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2012

By Carlos Mendez
    cmendez@star-telegram.com

SAN DIEGO -- The words were in another answer to another question in another news conference, slipped in there almost too fast for anybody to notice.

"Really being the lead receiver."

Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was talking not about Miles Austin or Dez Bryant.

Or this year's hot rookie, Cole Beasley.

Or last year's top touchdown receiver, Laurent Robinson.

He meant Kevin Ogletree, the fourth-year veteran who many, including the Cowboys, seemingly want to count out of the fight for the third receiver position.

But last week, Ogletree re-inserted himself into the competition with four catches for 60 yards against San Diego, including a 35-yarder between cornerback Quentin Jammer and safety Eric Weddle.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/22/4199718/cowboys-receiver-kevin-ogletree.html#storylink=cpy
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,997 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    At least this offseason, he's looked as good or better than the other backups from most other teams.

The question is will he deliver in real games.

It seems that he's toughened up and become more dedicated--whcih were my main issue with him in the past. No more alligator arms please.
  3. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I'm not a fan of KO and really don't trust him in regular season, but if he does make the roster, which it appears he will, I really hope that he can produce and have a great season.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

5,128 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    I will wait until week 1 when he plays as the #2 receiver against the Giants, before I get out the annoiting oil.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,997 Messages
    3,751 Likes Received
    I agree. But I think Dez and Miles will both start that game.
  6. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I'll take a wait and see approach but I do believe he has matured some as a person and a WR since last year.
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

7,044 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Tap the brakes, Mendez.
  8. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

882 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    I just hope he steps up to the plate this year.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,623 Messages
    5,531 Likes Received
    As long as Ogletree continues to go out and produce I have no problem with him at all.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,338 Messages
    10,501 Likes Received
    My issue with Ogletree is only that he's really not demonstrated he's any better than the players behind him, and he's a (relatively, only) expensive short-timer. I'd rather spend the reps developing a different young WR, all things being equal, so we get the benefit of a couple of more years on a cheap contract before we'd have to make a decision to re-up anybody.
  11. fuzzanoon

fuzzanoon Member

34 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I think we've all forgotten that he was not a draft pick--remember he was an undrafted free agent! We (and I use the term We loosely) tend to want guys to come in, regardless of how they were acquired, and instantly contribute on a grand scale. Overall, I think he has shown some positive things. He also seems to be right on the normal development track.

My 2 cents!
  12. Brian_C82

Brian_C82 Member

466 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kevin Ogletree :lmao2: