1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Marinelli gave up a chance to be a defensive coordinator to reunite with Kiffin

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 14, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Kiffin and Marinelli were together 10 seasons in Tampa. During their time there, the Bucs defense was in the top 10 in points allowed every year and in the top 10 in yards allowed in all but their first season of 2006 when Tampa ranked 11th. The Bucs went 89-71 from 1996-2005, allowing an average of 281.4 yards and 16.7 points per game. They generated an average of 32 turnovers a season.

“I think what we did there, and a lot of other guys were there with us, [gave us] a bond and… a belief [in the system],” Marinelli said. “There are things maybe you do differently here and there over the course of the year. But that foundation, the fundamentals of what we do, is the core belief for us. That kind of unites us. That’s why I wanted to be a part of this and be back with him.”

The Bears wanted to retain Marinelli as defensive coordinator, but he chose to leave.

"There’s no doubt [it was hard to leave]," Marinelli said. "But my No. 1 relationship is with Lovie Smith. Yeah, he’s probably one of my best friends in life, and I believe in him and I went there because of him and it’s not the right place for me without him."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...coordinator-to-reunite-with-monte-kiffin.html
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    We fix the OL with a defense like that and we will win a lot of games.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,205 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    This is fishy. Why would Marinelli give up a DC position to be a DL coach?
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Who cares. He wanted the job and came. I guess all the talk of good coaches would not want to come to Dallas and work for Jerry is nothing but hot air from the Cowboy critics. :laugh2:
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Did you not read the article at all?
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,776 Messages
    5,935 Likes Received
    He didn't want to work for the team that fired his friend, the Head Coach.

The Cowboys will probably pay him the same that he was making as a DC in Chicago, maybe more.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    He said exactly why. He and Lovie are tight. IMO, they wrongly fired Lovie and Marinelli probably feels the same way. With Lovie getting fired, and with the Bears interviewing everyone from George Burns to George Costanza, he probably thought it was a good time to get out.

They just fired a guy he has total respect for and he was faced with having to work with coaches he likely doesn't think can compare.

Clearly he puts an emphasis on familiarity and knowing where he fits into the picture.

I guess if there's another thing we can pull from this it is likely that Marinelli is out the door the moment Lovie gets another job.
  8. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Dallas adds a receiver to your mix, resigns Spencer at DE and finds a 3 technique DT (and one may already be on the roster) this team is likely winning the Super Bowl.
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,576 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Because Monte is a hunnerd and fifty years old. IF Marinelli does well, he becomes the DC of the "DALLAS COWBOYS" in short order.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Dick Lebeau in Pitt is older than Kiffin what does that have to do with anything? They do not play they coach, they have a great understanding of this game and what it takes for a defense to produce.
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,576 Messages
    715 Likes Received

Really? Gee........ I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Take a flippin break once in awhile.........get your cape dry cleaned or something.

READ. It could possibly be a factor for Marinelli to become a DC sooner.

That's what it has to do with.

IN MY OPINION.

Lovie Smith is a good story as well. May be waiting for him.
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    You take a break, I'm doing just fine.
  13. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    who said that no players/coaches wanted to come here? i want to troll them.
  14. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Because he expects to be the DC for Dallas when Kiffin checks out.

:)
  15. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I would guess Dallas will be able to make him the DC only if Lovie doesn't get a HC job somewhere.

As soon as that happens, I'm not sure he'd work anywhere else.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Not sure how long his deal is, but if he's under contract here we don't have to let him go.
  17. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Did they do away with being unable to block promotional moves?

I know they could block lateral moves but if he gets a promotion, I'm not sure you can tell him no.

In any event, I don't think he took the Dallas job because he specifically wants to be the DC in Dallas.

I think it had more to do with familiarity with Kiffen and given his choice, I think he'd likely go anywhere else and coach for Lovie.

He's an older guy himself and probably doesn't see much of an opportunity to be a head coach again after his abysmal stint in Detroit. For him, the "right" place may not be the highest paying or the most prominent. He seems to be a guy who values familiarity and possesses a strong sense of loyalty. Exactly the type of guy you would want on your staff so long as you are the guy he's loyal to because you know what he brings and you don't have to worry about him taking off for greener pastures. You can't really put a price on being able to work with someone you consider to be your best friend both inside and outside the game.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Years ago. Way back in '06 Sean Payton wanted to hire Sparano for OC and Parcells didn't let him go. You don't have to let them go unless it's for HC.
  19. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I thought their adjustment was in not allowing the Assistant HC title be valid for hiring a coordinator to be a coordinator.

I dunno but I'm guessing you're probably right.
  20. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,001 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Because Marinelli was a Lovie Smith guy.. he had no allegiance to the Bears.. Once Lovie left the Bears Marinelli saw no reason to stay on the staff.