1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Moving kickoff, touchback a touchy issue

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 22, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,166 Messages
    5,715 Likes Received
    Posted Monday, Mar. 21, 2011
    By BARRY WILNER

AP Pro Football Writer

NEW ORLEANS — Kickoff returns are among football's most popular and exciting plays. The NFL's competition committee wants to make them safer.

Committee chairman Rich McKay said Monday at the owners meetings that moving kickoffs up to the 35-yard line and bringing touchbacks out to the 25 have spurred "healthy discussions" among coaches and general managers. So much so that some alterations could be coming to proposed changes, which also include eliminating the blocking wedge and limiting coverage players from long run-ups.

2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,772 Messages
    2,489 Likes Received
    I don't like it. At all.
  3. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm not the biggest fan of it either; kickoffs were an exciting dimension and an important part of this game. Those extra 5 yards dramatically diminishes the threat of the return game on kickoffs. I'll be surprised to see more than 4 or 5 KR TDs all season.

On the bright side, with Buehler booting his kickoffs through the uprights, our defense shouldn't be facing any short fields.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    It's back to the old rule several years ago. So it's not that big a deal to me.