1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Newman's ties Lee Roy Jordan for Cowboys interception record

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 13, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Terence Newman’s two interceptions gave him six for the season, continuing an outstanding comeback season for the veteran Cowboys cornerback.

“He’s certainly playing well,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “He made a number of plays on the ball. It seems like he’s very comfortable playing in the defense, and it seems like when he has the opportunity to make plays, he’s making them.”

His 32 interceptions tie him with Lee Roy Jordan for seventh in team history.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...n-highlights-three-pick-game-for-cowboys.html
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Every single person (including some idiots at Valley Ranch) who tried to run Newman out of town on a rail can pick up your crow at the Bank of Newman!

33 Years Old

9th Year

Playing at a Pro Bowl level...
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    One of my favorite Cowboys
  5. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,776 Messages
    35 Likes Received
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Gotta admit.. i was skeptical, but he finally looks healthy for the first time in awhile and i guess its no coincidence that he looks like the Newman of old.

Pass me the crow.. keep playing well T New!
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Newman is who he is. He is going through a very nice stretch now, but he has had and will again have his moments where he is not playing so well. Fans need to quit judging people's careers and abilities based on week to week performances, but rather on the totality of their play. Newman is a good but not an outstanding CB who for the moment is having some outstanding results.
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,546 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I have always and will always love Newman. I am surprised he's playing this good at his age but I'm definately glad he is. I love Newman.

Good for him.
  9. Clintlongley88

Clintlongley88 Benched

7 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Groin pull against Washington forthcoming.
  10. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    History against the Foreskins would suggest otherwise.

I'd say the odds of GrossBeck throwing more touchdowns to Newman than his own receivers is a more likely outcome.

Dick.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,517 Messages
    2,051 Likes Received
    In other words... I'm irritated at him getting all this praise.
  12. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Those certainly are "other words", but if you want to use them you need to speak for yourself.
  13. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,387 Messages
    167 Likes Received
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I tend to agree, but it's not the mystery you make it sound like. When Newman is healthy, he's excellent. Unfortunately, he's not healthy all that often. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, but I know there's a good chance he'll get hurt sometime between now and the end of the season.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Older players tend to get injured more; TNew only had one injury his first 5 years- the meniscus problem his second year- even there by the end of the season he was back to form.

He was cheated out of at least 2 pro bowl teams; but that is the way it is now. Popularity contest and that is it.

When healthy he is still a top tier CB. Just like any other CB- none of them are very good when they are injured.
  16. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmm Troll?
  17. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't intend it to sound like a mystery, I intended it to sound like the way things work. Fans tend to want to view players as all good or all bad, but that's not reality. The fact is all players have good moments and bad, good games and bad, and good stretches and bad. What determines a good player from a bad one isn't each individual moment, game or stretch, it's how it all stacks up over time. In my mind with Newman it stacks up as a good CB - not an outstanding one and far from a bad one. He does a good overall job, and he is worth his starting role on the team.

As for the injuries, I think people tend to overemphasize those at times when discussing a player they like. Sure Newman has had true injuries, and other times has had his bumps and bruises and pains that he has had to play through, but that's a pretty common story in the NFL. Newman hasn't gone through a unique injury history that has hobbled him in a way others don't have to deal with. As long as he is deemed worthy of playing, and particularly if he is listed on the injury report as no worse than "probable" (or not listed at all), then he is playing with aches and pains like any number of players do every week. Most players are deemed worthy of playing even when listed as questionable.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    This is all true, and there shouldn't be excuses for why he's not playing well if he's in the lineup, but it seems like its almost just a mental thing with him. When he has been completely healthy, it seems to show in how much confidence he plays with. I agree, he's a pretty good CB and is in the middle of a great stretch of play right now. I just hope he stays healthy and we don't see the other side of him that we saw last season.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You may be right that his level of health may dictate his confidence level, and of course that is natural to a point. Nevertheless, a player is not going to live up to his potential if his mental state is too fragile. He may at times have to make some adjustments in how he plays based on his health, just as a lot of NFL players do each week, but mentally he has to be able to come out with the same determination every game.