1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: NFL retirees await benefits of CBA negotiations

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    NFL retirees await benefits of CBA negotiations

By ANDREW SELIGMAN

AP Sports Writer

....At the core of the debate is how to divide the money, but it's not the only issue on the table.

Owners also want to increase the regular-season schedule to 18 games while reducing the preseason slate to two. A rookie salary scale is being discussed, and so are the benefits to the retired players.

That's been a sore spot for years for old-timers who can't afford treatment for injuries and illnesses brought on by the physical contact of the game during their playing days. Their complaints with the union have centered on pensions that they believe are too small and a disability system they believe is inefficient and flawed.

Outside groups provide some help. The Gridiron Greats is a nonprofit that has raised more than $1.75 million to provide financial grants and pro bono medical care for retirees.

"I don't think anybody's trying to do the wrong thing," said Ditka, Gridiron Greats' board of directors chairman. "I'm just not sure that anybody understands what it's going to take. Saying it and doing it are two different things. Putting a program in place and then implementing it is another thing."........

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/04/2895662/nfl-retirees-await-benefits-of.html#ixzz1FotCUHPM
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Upshaw and the union leaders ignored the retired players for a long time until some like Ditka went public and shamed them into doing more. So I do not doubt that there will be a lot more money set aside for that. And really it is not going to be all that expensive. They put out about $50 million more per year into those areas and will be more than enough. And that is pocket change for a $9 billion a year concern.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Good insights, burma...and I think most other, and even governmental occupations would be envious of such a minutely involved percentage of overall revenue encompassing health issues of present and 'retired' elements of it's work force.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    well think about it: there are only around 1700 players on the rosters each year. You have to be on a roster for 5 years to get any pension. Medical coverage after your career is not much right now. Since the average career of a NFL player is about 3.2 years, you are looking at only 1200 of them getting a pension or medical coverage. I would imagine that the turnover is probably only 300 or so a year. When you are talking relatively low numbers like that its not going to cost all that much.
  5. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,034 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I was reading some interviews with Bob Lilly a while ago, and he mentioned that his NFL pension didn't cover his electricity bill.....

Lucky for him, he's developed into a great nature photographer.