1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Parcells Settles with AB

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    Posted on Sat, Jul. 31, 2004

I M A G E S

Antonio Bryant

Parcells settles dispute with receiver Bryant

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - Almost everybody assumed receiver Antonio Bryant had thrown his last tantrum as a Cowboy when he angrily tossed his jersey in coach Bill Parcells' face during an argument in June.

Almost everybody.

A few of Parcells' former players, players who had hurled curse words and worse at Parcells while playing for him, knew better than to assume a little fight was a cardinal sin.

"One of the guys called me and said, 'You must really like that SOB if you're wasting your time fighting with him.' That puts it the best way I can put it," Parcells said Friday, discussing his reconciliation with Bryant. "This is about the fourth or fifth fight that I've had with a player. This isn't my first bout with a player. ... Some of the guys I used to fight with I really like and were some of my greatest players."

Which is not to say that Parcells and Bryant did not have some things to talk about before Bryant was given a "clean slate" for training camp.

Parcells declined to divulge what Monday's "lengthy" talk with Bryant entailed, but he did say that "Antonio has a little better understanding of the way things need to be." And that's all that needs to be said, at least in Parcells' mind, about the minicamp altercation between Bryant and himself.

What Bryant needs to show Parcells now, if he wants to see a decent number of balls coming his way, is a return of the playmaking ability he flashed in his first season. Last season was not nearly as productive for Bryant, and he finds himself behind receivers Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn on the Cowboys' depth chart, with recent addition Dedric Ward providing plenty of competition for No. 3.

Parcells sees something in Bryant, though, which is one of the reasons he was not waived as an example of what happens to players who clash with Parcells.

"I'm secure enough personally where I don't have to make examples out of players," Parcells said, pausing, then adding: "If I don't want to."

He didn't want to with Bryant because, as a few former players can attest, Parcells likes a good fight every now and then.
  2. billknows

billknows New Member

790 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of the guys called me and said, 'You must really like that SOB if you're wasting your time fighting with him.' That puts it the best way I can put it," Parcells said Friday, discussing his reconciliation with Bryant. "This is about the fourth or fifth fight that I've had with a player. This isn't my first bout with a player. ... Some of the guys I used to fight with I really like and were some of my greatest players."

This is one reason I Love this coach, A PERFECT SPIN,w/ a motivatiol kicker.
    And without a ounce of disrespect, parcells likes a challenge,and like I said before the coach knows bryant pulled the last minute giant game into a WIN. If 11 other guys can make game turning plays were good to go.

Randall Williams may have got rewarded w/ a two yr. contract on a game changing onside kick. players that produce these kind of plays are rewarded,thats the measage being sent and our goal.

Also my post at the time of the Bryant blow-up is similar to this article.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,899 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    I hope this makes AB turn it all around. Too much talent to waste.
  4. billknows

billknows New Member

790 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need him as our no 1 or two receiver soon, I think it will help the long term stratagy bill and jerry are thinking.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,899 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    I agree. Glenn and Johnson are not getting any younger and AB has the talent to be a special WR.

If he keeps his head screwed on - he'll be ok.

I'm especially curious to see how his eye surgery might benefit him this year.

This could explain some of those dropped balls last year.