1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FWST: Rob Ryan: One reason Eagles/Giants torched them last yr, he didn't know NFCE

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 9, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,906 Messages
    3,856 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Rob Ryan said last year’s game at Philadelphia was as bad as any game he has coached in the NFL, but that this year will be better because he knows the Eagles and the NFC East now.

“That was a poor, poor job of coaching,” the Cowboys defensive coordinator said Friday in his weekly meeting with reporters at Valley Ranch. “The second time we played them was more up to what we need to do. Took me a while to learn this NFC East, but we’ll see if all the work we’ve done in the offseason until now is going to pay off.

“The Giants and the Eagles had their way with us. A lot of that was me not knowing the league, but I know the league now, so we’ll see how it goes.”
    Ryan called LeSean McCoy of the Eagles “the best back in football” and the Eagles themselves the “most talented team in football.” He said a first-hand view last year convinced him.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ast-year-is-because-he-didnt-know-the-nf.html
  2. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,475 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Well he better slap those safeties up side the head this week. They kept watching the Falcons WR's catch those short post patterns right in front of them all night.
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,515 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    That's a very poor excuse. Ryan had plenty of time to get to know the NFC East. And it is the head coach's job to make sure the defensive coordinator has a good plan. In this case, Garrett should have had a say in the defensive plan. It isn't like Garrett doesn't know the NFC East.

Don't these two coaches, Ryan and Garrett, communicate and plan together? Didn't Garrett consent to Ryan's defensive plan going in to the game? Every game?

Which is more reason to me for Garrett to give up playcalling and offensive coordinator duties and be a big-picture coach.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,007 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    RR is another sales man.
  5. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,917 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    He's just taking one for the team. In reality the Eagirls were just younger and faster than us it seems last season. We just looked to slow to compete with them. With Bruce Carter now in the middle and Carr and Claiborne we now are a lot faster than we were last season.
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, Rob was so scared of their speed and them taking shots down field that they KILLED us in the flats. Rob just game-planned bad on that game, and then failed to make adjustments at halftime.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,395 Likes Received
    So I guess if you get to the Superbowl, you're just screwed?

(I know -- Superbowl -- haha)
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly! Calling McCoy the best back in the NFL and the Eagles the most talented team is about blowing smoke and roses up their rears.
  10. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Rob is cool but I expect more from all his talk. I want to see more out scheming offenses by him.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,317 Messages
    6,300 Likes Received
    This is why players love to play for the Ryans.

He's taking all the blame. I'm sure he deserves a lot of it, but he takes all of it. That makes players loyal to him.
  12. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,475 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    I'll give him credit though this year. He schemed well against the Giants this year. Eli toasted them last year.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,709 Messages
    4,566 Likes Received
    Everybody's the best whatever in football. It's all his fault. It's never their fault. It's just gobletty-****. It doesn't mean anything, since he's not serious about any of it. It's a smokescreen just as sure as anything Garrett says to the press, with the important exception that he'll take pot shots at teams when he gets a chance. That, I like.
  14. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,038 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    How do you not know tendencies, strengths, weakness, etc of the teams in the division you're coaching in? Especially in this day and age. That's what you get paid for. Not really buying that excuse.
  15. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,562 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips always took the blame and the players loved him too .. well, until they gave up on him as a coach. They still loved him though :D

#reality
  16. Turf Toe

Turf Toe Member

155 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    He's kissing bootie to put his name out there for the open Eagles HC job next season.
  17. Hagman

Hagman Put Niland and Green in the ROH

1,272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of these years the NFL will record the games so coaches can watch opposing teams in the offseason and before they play. That should really help defensive coordinators like Ryan.
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,701 Messages
    1,853 Likes Received
    I won't complain that Ryan needs to improve faster or anticipate better.

If Ryan is able to improve against the Eagles offense like he improved against the Giants offense, the Cowboys might just walk out of Lincoln Financial Field with a win tomorrow -- provided they avoid turnovers.

The defense is the only part of the team that has shown tangible improvement this season. We can point to actual results rather than anecdotal accounts of how the players are acting or what they're saying.

At this point, any kind of improvement, no matter how long it takes, should be welcome.
  19. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

Well that means he should be fired last year since he refused to do his homework on the most important offenses in the division. How stupid is that?? What new DC comes to a new division and not study the offenses?