1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Rookie Church may get last laugh, spot on Cowboys' roster

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 25, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,865 Messages
    3,795 Likes Received
    Posted Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Rookie free agent Barry Church knows he still hasn't heard the last of it.

Three days after being tackled by Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, the Dallas Cowboys safety left the practice field Tuesday to more taunts from teammates.

"Hey, you know even Kitna would have caught you," teammate Danny McCray kidded Church, pointing to the Cowboys' 37-year-old backup quarterback.

All Church could do was laugh.

He hopes to have a last(ing) laugh. Church is one of 10 rookies, five of them free agents, with a chance to make the final 53-man roster.

The fourth-round selection of Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, and the play of Church and McCray during training camp, will leave secondary coach Dave Campo and the Cowboys with some difficult decisions. The Cowboys could choose to keep six safeties, and only four corners, with Owusu-Ansah, McCray and Church all making the roster as rookies.

"That would be crazy exciting," McCray said. "When you come in as free agents, we've got to do everything special in order to get a look. So far we've been getting those looks and those opportunities, and I think we've taken advantage of them pretty well. We've got two more games, so we've got to keep it up to solidify, hopefully, a spot on the Dallas Cowboys."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08/24/2423162/rookie-church-may-get-last-laugh.html#ixzz0xdE7v6um
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I hope he makes it.

:)
  3. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,743 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I like him as well. Doubt he can make it to the PS if they do cut him.