1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Rookie safety has to make quick impression with Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,659 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Rookie safety has to make quick impression with Cowboys
    By Carlos Mendez

cmendez@star-telegram.com

SAN DIEGO -- Matt Johnson put a shoulder pad into the pile, and he remembered the feeling.

It had been a long time since he put on pads and hit in practice. Last October, in fact, at Eastern Washington before he finally opted for surgery to repair a biceps injury.

But this week, the rookie safety finally got to do it again when the Dallas Cowboys scrimmaged the San Diego Chargers. It was his first "live," or hitting, work since the Cowboys drafted him in the fourth round in April.

"Same stuff," he said. "You get 10 minutes into practice, and it's like you never took them off. It's like riding a bike."

Problem is, Johnson doesn't have much time to ride that bike before the Cowboys start the season.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said it is too late for Johnson to compete for a starting position -- the Cowboys are going into the season with Gerald Sensabaugh and Barry Church -- which the team thought he could do when it drafted him...

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/21/4196980/rookie-safety-has-to-make-quick.html#storylink=cpy
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,099 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    Given how much the team likes him, I can't see him not making the team.

That said, I'm eager to see him on the field during some live action.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I think he will need to show up on special teams.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,134 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    He'll make the team as the #4 safety. It's not like there's anyone behind him.
  5. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    He may make it but but on game day only 46 suite up and if you can't bring it on special team he will likely not be dressed out. If your not starting you better bring something to the table. You get down to the last few cuts coaches will look for guys who can make an impact some where.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,099 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you that Johnson makes this team.
  7. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he will not make the team, heck I hope he does and feel like he will. However when you start getting into the 4th safety and crud like that you are also a guy who could be let go to make room for a player you pick up to fill voids or injury. One way to lock down a spot is by being able to go out and produce on special team, Bill Bates made a nice long career for himself by doing just that.
  8. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Going by Johnson's reputation as a hard hitter, I expect him to excel on special tams, and eventually work himself into some defensive packages.