1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Shutdown corner Carr stands out in Cowboys' loss

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,682 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Shutdown corner Carr stands out in Cowboys' loss

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

SAN DIEGO -- The Dallas Cowboys targeted one player at the outset of free agency in hopes of improving last year's 8-8 team.

They flew a private jet to Kansas City to court cornerback Brandon Carr, threw a feast for him at Cowboys Stadium and then gave him a five-year, $50.1 million contract.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan called Carr the best player in free agency. What he does is give Ryan a physical, tough, man-to-man cornerback.

Much of the preseason talk has gone to top pick Morris Claiborne, the former LSU standout picked sixth overall who missed last week's preseason opener because of a sprained knee.

Carr is considered the team's shutdown cornerback, and the first true one in Dallas since the days of Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, no matter what owner Jerry Jones said about Claiborne during the draft...

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/19/4190642/shutdown-corner-carr-stands-out.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,996 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Brandon Carr is a helluva player, I was happy as heck when Dallas signed him in free agency.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Look what we have here, the media has already declared Carr a shutdown corner.

While I like the idea that Carr will be shutdown corner I don't think he deserves that title just yet.

We have a long road ahead of us and alot of WRs to "shutdown". Let's tap the brakes Clarence.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,796 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    I'm definately pleased with the signing. I have been since the moment they got him under contract.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    who cares what the media says, Carr went out and played a very good ball game, why do meaningless titles handed out by people who do not matter mean anything? Cowboys paid Carr to come here and makes plays at CB thus far he has done that.
  6. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's like they refuse to go with a shade of gray. Something either sucks, or it's amazing. They seem to hate the middle ground.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,780 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received
    Instantly upgrades our pass rush.
  8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,238 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    They sure do.

After all, there's nothing 'sensational' about being in the middle.

That said, Carr looked great last night.

Some claimed that Meachem had him beaten and the ball was underthrown but I definitely did not see it that way.

Carr was right where he needed to be to get Rivers to throw it, caught up easily, and played the ball, not the receiver.

Great start so far.
  9. Doomsday101

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    I don't think Cowboys paid him to be in the middle they payed him to be a very good CB and thus far he is showing that.
  10. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received

They did, and he hasn't shown much to make one worried. It's just that the tile of "shut-down corner" is ridiculous. I think you can argue that there's about one of those every 8-10 years or so (Prime, Champ, Revis), and there's nothing wrong with just being a very good corner.
  11. Doomsday101

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    Part of the shut down CB happens when you make enough plays where QB's do not challenge you as much. Carr keeps making plays and QB's will start looking to the other side much more. All CB even Prime, Revis and Bailey get burned but they make enough plays for QB's to be reluctant to go their way
  12. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......and it can be argued that Revis isn't a shut down corner either: Cruz caught a few nice ones on him last night: he's VERY good: not great IMO
  13. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    No, Revis is great. When you shut-down Megatron single handed, you're great.
  14. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,768 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    But wait...Risen Star said it was our WORST off-season signing......
  15. DaBoyz73

DaBoyz73 Member

410 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I beg to differ. Prime was great. Revis is good.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,996 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Just as a side note... Brandon Carr also held his own against Megatron as well last season when he was with K.C.
  17. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,682 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I said that the Cowboys did good in the use of available funds, and opportunity by picking up Carr first, and then Claiborne in the draft.

He called me an idiot troll, because Jerry should have paid put all that out for a lineman or five...
  18. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And the mediots at NFLN still claim we should of got Finnergan
  19. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Oh I don't disagree, I just think that fans are as utterly desperate to call their favorite corners "shut-down corners" as the press is. To me, what Prime did most Sundays was shutting down WRs. The best of the rest? They just limit productivity.
  20. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Active Member

451 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    The trenches are where games are won!