1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spears says getting Ratliff back is like 'getting three guys back'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,516 Messages
    4,484 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

The Cowboys are excited about the return of nose tackle Jay Ratliff.

“Getting Jay back is like getting three guys back,” defensive end Marcus Spears said Monday as the Cowboys got in an extra practice at Valley Ranch. “In the nickel packages, in the base packages and then teams actually game plan for Jay Ratliff. It’ll give other guys the opportunity to probably make more plays and have more success because he’s in the game.”

The Cowboys hope it means a boost for their run defense and pass pressure up the middle. With Josh Brent and Sean Lissemore playing in the place of the four-time Pro Bowl veteran, the Cowboys rank 15th in rushing defense and ninth in sacks per pass attempt.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ke-getting-three-guys-back.html#storylink=cpy
  2. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,571 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    I wish the same could be said for Spears
  3. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Brent should start in base defense still.
  4. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,810 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Wonder if that will happen some --Brent clogging the middle and Rat rushing ?
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,473 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Will we see Rat at end some?

I'm fine with leaving Brent at nose and using Rat all over to rush.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,239 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I'm done with this 3-4 anyways. We don't have the correct DL to run the 3-4. I wish we would just switch back to the 4-3 and play ware like Denver does Miller.
  7. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,868 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    Yeah. I don't follow the Broncos at all, but I was looking at their depth chart a while ago, for some reason, and was surprised to see Miller listed as a 4-3 OLB. It annoys me when teams runs creative defenses-like JPP playing NT at times.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,239 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Yep, miller is a great 4-3 OLB and I think ware can be as well on the weak side or Spencer. Lee and carter can play any LB position. Spencer and Hatcher at DE with Ratliff, Spears, Coleman, Brent, Lessimore, and Crawford rotating at DT
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,940 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I like it for a couple reasons....brent is as good against the run and, more importantly, it will keep ratliff fresh later in games when this defense has been consistently awful.

As for getting in 3 guys, he really will make everyone better. If he can get a pass rush up the middle, itll really help the outside rushers as well.

Ive said it before, but this defense could be scary good.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,988 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    I'll be glad to see Rat back in the lineup.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,900 Messages
    7,326 Likes Received
    We never had a legit NT or a compliment to Ware on the other side. Until that changes our defense won't be legit.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,900 Messages
    7,326 Likes Received
    I don't think it's much of a factor, to be honest. He's a bad 3-4 NT and he's been in decline for three years now.