1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spears says he understands role now that he's not a starter

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,223 Messages
    7,042 Likes Received
    Defensive end Marcus Spears said he has accepted the idea that he’s not a starter.

“I’ve been a starter for six years in the league. This year I’m not,” he said.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said Friday that Hatcher has earned the starting spot.

“You’ve just got to step up in your role,” Spears said. “I have a different role now. ... When my number is called, you’ve got to go in the game and try to contribute and do what you can do.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...erstands-role-now-that-hes-not-a-starter.html
  2. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Spears knows he got 1st round money and hasn't performed at a spectacular level. He also just got a decent new contract. You can tell he's a pretty smart guy when he interviews, so I'm sure he's doing well with his money. He likes being a Cowboy, and he's still going to see the field a lot in the rotation.

Spears is not a flashy guy, but to go out and play last year being paid less than his backups and not say anything, and then to go out and play this year and not make a fuss about starting or what not just shows that he's the kind of guy you want in your d-line rotation.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    Spears is as classy as they come, I'm glad we resigned the guy.
  4. PoetTree

PoetTree Active Member

339 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Um, I thought Spears was starting on the left and Hatcher on the right? Who is our other starting end??
  5. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,689 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Anyone else noticed that Hatcher has more than doubled the production of Bowen throught the first two games?
  6. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Hatcher and Coleman are the starters.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think that has more to do with the scheme and Ryan's attack mode defense. Not saying Hatcher isn't a good player and doing well, but when Hatcher and Bowen were in the same scheme Hatcher was not the more productive player.
  8. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,642 Messages
    340 Likes Received

But he always showed similar potential as a pass rusher and was a better run stopper (Wade Philips explicitly stated this himself).

I always wondered why people didn't see that in him.
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,593 Messages
    1,184 Likes Received
    Translation: no free meal tickets under Garrett. :)
  10. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,370 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So Hatcher should get the same accolades because he is getting paid less than his backup this year, right?
  11. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spears is one of my favorite Cowboys because he's a class act and a true professional.
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,665 Messages
    3,181 Likes Received
    That's it right there.

Under Wade, a starter would have to fall dead on the field in order to be moved out of the starter's spot.
  13. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Hatcher got a decent new 3 year deal before the season. If he keeps getting sacks and turns into some sort of monster DE in this defense, maybe he'll get a new one. :)
  14. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm still on the Spears bandwagon with you. Unlike most fans, I'm not going to knock Spears in order to say that Hatch is playing @ a higher level this year. I liked Hatch a lot coming out of Grambling. Its a small school, plus Hatch was always hurt; I think he is finally coming into the player Parcells thought he could be. I'm glad we resigned him. He can be a playmaker on the DL.

That being said, I still like Spears. True professional.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    Same here, I like both guys and expect both to make plays when they are in the game. Hatcher went out and won the starting role but with the way defense rotate in and out of the game Spears remains an important part of this defense.
  16. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,510 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Just wish we understood his role before handing him that new contract.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,904 Likes Received
    His new contract is not that big 5 years 19 mill. Not sure you would do much better bring in another player in FA without paying the same if not more
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I disagree thatt he showed similar potential as a pass rusher. I thought they had similar athletic traits, and Bowen and Hatcher were both guys that came into the game in passing situations in place of their run stuffing counterparts (Spears and Olshansky), but Bowen was regularly seen flushing QB's from the pocket and getting hits on QB's, and Hatcher clearly wasn't as successful in that regard.

Hatcher has found a defense that suits him. I suspect it would also have suited Bowen. Regardless, you can't compare Hatcher in this defense to Bowen in last years defense. Simply not a fair comparison.
  19. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,370 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    His contract is very big for a backup DE Its more than what the other 2 starters are getting combined.

We did just that, brought in better players and paid less money in Coleman and Hatcher.

The bottom line is Spears is overpayed and should be asked to restructure or get cut this offseason.
  20. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,599 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    He just landed a contract extension with starter's money, I would hope that the team's assessment of him as the starter is correct and that he would work his butt off to get back out there, not coast and "accept his role".