1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spencer lauded by Garrett for effort against Giants

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Spencer lauded by Garrett for effort against Giants
    by Jimmy Burch

DeMarcus Ware got two sacks against the Giants. But the team’s other outside linebacker, Anthony Spencer, drew praise from Garrett for playing one of his best overall games as a Cowboys (7 tackles, one TFL).

“If you watched that game closely, you see No. 93 show up a lot,” Garrett said of Spencer. “Defending the run, he shows up a lot. Affecting the quarterback. Defending the pass. His production was solid.”

Spencer finished second among the Cowboys' in total tackles, trailing only inside linebacker Sean Lee (12)...

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-for-effort-against-giants.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,333 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    I always liked spencer
  3. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,654 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    When you only give up 10 points, and 3 of them are because the offense gave the other team the ball inside the 5, all 11 guys on defense played well, period. I still don't think Spencer is worth franchise tag money, but I understand that we didn't have his replacement ready this year, so it was better to keep him. I don't see him getting long term money from us if he wants as much as I think he does though.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,231 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    I understand what your saying, and tend to agree. Except I'm willing to wait and see how he does rest of the season to get a long term deal. However, you're right, he offer won't be as much as he wants.
  5. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,654 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I like Spencer as a player, but I just think with as much money as we have tied up in CB, Ware, etc., I think we are going to have to go cheaper at Spencer's spot than he'll want, whether it's Butler, Wilbur, or a FA/Draft pick next year.

Especially when you consider that Lee is going to have a pretty large payday coming up in the next couple years. Only so much money to go around.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I guess it all depends on where you want to invest your money. As long as there are teams like the Giants/Steelers/Ravens/49ers/etc. putting a premium on the defensive front 7 then we will either have to draft really well, constantly replacing our guys whenever it's time for a new contract, or pay the market price to keep the guys that are playing well.

I would suggest that the Cowboys should offer Spencer a fair market price for someone with his skills(which may seem steep because Spencer is no slouch) and keep drafting OLBs until they find one that can replace him(if ever). Who knows, maybe Kyle Wilber is the guy but I wouldn't let Spencer go until I knew for sure...
  7. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The coaches have always loved Spencer and what he brings to the club.........

Fans on the other hand dont really appreciate what he does because alot of the little stuff he does isnt in the stats sheets.

I wouldnt give Spencer Ware type money to keep him....but I would love to sign him to a extention at a reasonable price.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,655 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    If you actually looked at it objectively once you get passed Ware, Carr, Lee (no Rat right now)- Spencer is the next best player on the defense with Claiborne, Church, Hatcher after him and Carter coming on.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    those dumb fans

dont they know the cowboys have been trying to sign him to a long-term contract? ;)