1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spencer playing for future with Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,061 Likes Received
    By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Dallas Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer has millions of reasons to rebound from last season. He is in the final year of his rookie contract, which will pay him $1.9 million this season.

This season will help determine Spencer's market value in the off-season, if the Cowboys don't re-sign him before then. And the Cowboys aren't likely to re-sign him before then if he doesn't have a good season.

The Cowboys have had no discussions with Spencer's agent about a contract extension, according to a source.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/10/10/3434294/spencer-playing-for-future-with.html#ixzz1aUQSEQIZ
  2. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,667 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    If they dont re-sign Spencer, OLB suddenly rises to the top of our offseason priority list. Cant have a good 3-4 with only 1 good OLB. Butler isn't that guy...
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,200 Likes Received
    Or Carter is the guy and they go for Vontaze Burfict in the Draft.

BTW, unrelated but Butler and Ware are absolutely best of friends. They do everything together.
  4. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received

You know i thought about that, Carter is a strange pick. Lee is essentially playing his spot inside and i don't see Carter with enough size to play the strong side outside.

I don't know what they have planned for him.

You are right though, if we want the 3-4 to really start rocking a stud ILB would fit the bill.
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    idk isn't carter bigger than bowman of the 49ers? they both play the same spot and bowman is playing pretty well in that spot. But they do have a bigger nose tackle then us so idk.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I thought it was pretty clear they wanted Carter at ILB... I don't think he's got the makeup of a 3-4 OLB at all really.

I wouldn't mind snatching up an elite ILB to play next to Lee, but I feel that's what the team thinks they have in Carter.

Either way, Spencer isn't going anywhere.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    They've got plenty of time left this year to evaluate rather or not he'll be worth bringing back.
  8. dreghorn2

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Problem with that is if they stick with Ryans version of the 3-4 the ILB opposite of Lee is the 'hammer' and has to take on the blocks to free up his counterpart, don't think Carter has the size for that.

Also we seem to prefer/need a run stopper on the SOLB side so he doesn't seem an ideal fit there either.

Hard to say, but if he is a player they will find a spot i guess. Could be they were worried about Lee holding up long term, thats the only explanation that makes sense to me.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah I have to agree, I don't see Carter as the SOLB to replace Spencer. I figure we will resign Spencer, and really I don't want to go into the offseason and draft having to replace him. Not like 3-4 OLBs grow on trees, he would be hard to replace immediately, especially since we don't have anyone who can play his spot (no I don't see Butler being able to do this).

If he did leave, it would immediately be the biggest hole we have to fill in the offseason. I would rather not have to do it, and get some wants filled. I hate to think about it, but I feel we are in a position where we almost have to pay Spencer eventually.
  10. dreghorn2

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    In another thread Hostile mentioned that Umnyiora was a close friend of DWares, if so, and with his contract up next year, that is a very intriquing name for next season. 4-3 end or not.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Do you really see his return as a foregone conclusion?

I don't.

And I think this report saying that no negotiations have taken place says a lot.

I think that the team is letting an inconsistant player prove to them that he's worth it before they dish out the big money it will likely take to keep him.
  12. dreghorn2

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received

Yes i agree, the silence on a new contract says a lot, they might still sign him, but a foregone conclusion, i don't think so.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I have to give you props on that sig line. I wish I thought of it!
  14. dreghorn2

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    LOL.. thanks stash.
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Burfict would be perfect. But not sure the Cowboys can get high enough to have a chance at him - the guy is the best defender in the country. Love his intensity & smarts - violent playmaker, but the guy is top 5, maybe top 3, talent.

I think Burfict would be a good fit at OLB too. He is just that good.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah, if we don't resign him, then its a need that is well beyond any we would have this offseason. Spencer has to earn it of course, but it is definitely one of the most important positions on our D and would be a hard blow on the team to replace. I would also think that if Spencer left, we would really have to retain TNew, cause it might be too much to replace in one offseason.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    I absolutely dispise players who step it up in contract years (dana stubblefield always comes to mind). I was big supporter of Spencer in the draft and really felt he would challenge for DROY award. I think Jerry and Co need to be very careful with Spencer as he could easily slip back into the player we saw last few years after signing a new contract. We can only hope it will be incentive heavy contract (QB pressures, sacks, etc.)
  18. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,868 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    One thing I will say is that I have only seen glimpses of him where he gives the added effort that it takes to be great. All the physical tools are there. I just don't know if you pay that type of guy top money.
  19. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't rush to sign this guy... He's been OK at best honestly.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, why would you resign a player to a multi-year contract four games into the season? I'm sure the Cowboys want to see more of Spencer before they start talking about a new contract with him.