1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: Spencer takes hands-on approach with Wilber in spring

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 20, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,588 Messages
    8,805 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Anthony Spencer watched Kyle Wilber fill in for him at defensive end in the OTAs and mini-camp, and he said Wilber showed instinct for the position.

“He’s quick off the ball,” Spencer said of the second-year player, drafted in 2012 as an outside linebacker but moved to defensive end in the switch to the 4-3. “He’s just got to trust in himself to get off the ball and doing that every play. Just his get-off alone makes up for a lot of his type of size, playing in the trenches. That’s what he’s definitely working on right now.”
    Spencer, speaking at the mini-camp last week at Valley Ranch, said Wilber held his own against tackles Tyron Smith and Doug Free in the practices. It reminded Spencer of his days as a young edge rusher going against former Cowboys tackle Flozell Adams.

“I got my butt whipped by Flo a lot when I was a rookie and my second year,” Spencer said. “It definitely helped me develop and get to where I am right now. I tell him all the time, it happens to everybody. So it’s good for you. It’s humbling, and it gets you on the right track, definitely.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...012-pick-showed-instinct-for-defensive-e.html
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Some good guys on this team, in more ways than one.

:)
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,357 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    you hear a lot of mentoring going on which is terrific...the vets could be doing that every year, but it seems to be more public now....I like that both from a player perspective and from a PR mindset perspective...

...whomever is pushing the PR agenda is doing their job well (I assume a lot of that is Garrett)