1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FWST: Why are the Cowboys holding on to Matt Johnson? Jason Garrett explains

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,699 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    Personally, I can't wait to see him playing on sundays based on what the team says about him...I am patient, but I wish the guy was ready to go now (of course)...
  2. J-DOG

J-DOG Active Member

2,135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I seem to remember a wr that Dallas drafted in the early 90's that went to a small school and was always injured. Kid had a lot of talent but he never seemed to be healthy..after a couple of years the Boys released him. We never saw Kevin Williams or anyone else step up to be that other guy next to Michael Irvin.
    Meanwhile Jimmy Smith the player we gave up on went to to have a stellar career in Jacksonville.
    I'm not saying that Matt Johnson is the equivalent of Jimmy Smith at wr but I am saying that if you liked that player you drafted and you are not sold on other players who play that position...safety...why in the world would you release him?
    In case anybody is noticing...we are thin at the safety position. Which means to me that we have a lack of talent and/or experience at the position. Johnson lacks experience but he may have the talent to play in this league...and play well. You don't throw that away. Jimmy Smith should have taught us that.
  3. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I think the question is more along the lines of why has he taken a roster spot for 4 weeks now when he could have been put on PUP or the new 'bring one player back' IR. If he plays it won't be before week 6 or 7 anyway.
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I think if there was anyone out there that we really wanted to sign and would actually contribute to our football team, there are plenty of guys we could release that are giving us nothing. I just don't think its something that the coaches feel is necessary right now because there's no one out there that's going to help us anyway.

How bout that Peter Frampton signing? Really made you jump out of your seat in joy, didn't it? Haha.
  5. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can see how you could think that maybe he should be put on IR. But there's no way that a fan can know the likely timetable for his return, so how can anybody unequivocally say what should be done? Rob Ryan knows more about the guy than everybody on the board combined.
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,634 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well, for some reason in Dallas, we have to question everything they do, no matter what. Sometimes its gets to the point of being stupid, but thats Dallas for you.

Matt is a small school guy with more talent than anyone we have at safety (with that said, doesn't say much for what we have at safety). To IR him at this point, especially when the back issue was unforseen and he could be back after the bye, would be insane.

I wait on Matt for potential alone, cause I would ALMOST rather take my lumps and give him snaps over McCray to be honest.
  7. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,785 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    I don't think we can judge him by just a few snaps in practice since he gets injured all the time.
  8. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Just bc it's their job doesn't mean they do it well.
  9. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

195 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Your point? Those 14 games were like all on the bench. Also that pick six was really late in the year. You do realize its only week 4 right? And that Church is done? Who's to say what happens. They are keeping him for a reason and I trust them more than you.
  10. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

195 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Oh I know they aren't super good comparisons, but the point is that you don't give up on players you believe in. They love his football IQ and skill set. He hasn't been able to show it off yet. A hurt Johnson is still on the team and a healthy Silva is not. I think that says what they think of Silva. And again, I trust them more than you too.
  11. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,242 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I feel and hope that it's a wrong one. But fair enough. I want to see him play and given time to develop before I judge him.
  12. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,242 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    "You're in the zone!"