1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: With Free, Garrett says, 'It's a technical thing, it's a demeanor thing."

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 19, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,163 Messages
    6,973 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said demeanor is part of the reason behind Doug Free’s struggles at right tackle. He has to have a little more “bite” to his game.

“Oftentimes up there, it can be a dogfight,” Garrett said. “So you’ve got to play with that demeanor where you’re going to bite the guy a little bit and be firm and not let him push you back into the quarterback. At times, Doug did a good job of that. At other times, he didn’t.”

Garrett has talked before about how Free has to be firmer.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...thing-its-a-demeanor-thing.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    No Red, its a "he sucks" thing.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I actually agree with Garrett on this... It's called being "SOFT AS HELL"
  4. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,147 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I think Free is terrible. He hasn't played well in a couple of years. Dallas has to seriously address and rebuild the Oline next offseason.

Jerry is not giving Callahan good resources.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,019 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
    Put him in the pit and keep sending them.
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Doug Free has had 3 different position coaches in his tenure here in Dallas.

He's struggled with coaching changes his first year with them, so let's not be rash here.

If we applied the same logic to Tyron Smith, who was getting thrashed around by the Browns too then we wouldn't have any tackles left.

Smith also played poorly vs Trent Cole last week, and I've noticed that if he has to play against a player with power he tends to struggle against them.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Tyron is a developing player at a position unfamiliar to him.

Free is a guy who has been around the block for a while, likely peaked 2-3 years ago and hasn't been the same since.

That's why you don't apply the same logic. Might be a lot to ask but looking at context usually helps.

The move back to RT was supposed to salvage Free after seeing him be whipped at LT.

It hasn't. I really wish Dallas didn't have to take the cap hit to put someone else in there next season.

As far as Jason's comments, they're stupid.

Where are the coaches to give him the technical aspect he's supposedly been lacking for who knows how long? Callahan not big on technical stuff?

Where's the HC to instill the demeanor in him that he's missing? Whatever happened to the "right approach"? Letting a guy be mentally weak and lazy is the right approach?
  8. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Doug Free has been playing LT for 2 years, we the fans and the media severely underestimated how easy it would be for him to go back to RT.

On top of that he had the presence of Kyle Kosier next to when he was there in 2010, but when Kosier went to the right side to help Smith, I find it no coincidence that Free struggled again.

Neither tackle can handle power rushers, and that seems to be OK with the way the Cowboys want to set the pocket.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,446 Messages
    6,006 Likes Received
    what does he mean by "it's a demeanor thing"?
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,091 Messages
    3,078 Likes Received
    If you look beaten, they come after you that much harder. You have to maintain composure at all times. They will take any edge you give them.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,693 Likes Received
    more excuses.

Bottom line is that he is a 6 year VET
    and by the way he practiced at LT a lot before he took over; and practiced a fair amount at RT as well. He was the swing tackle for a year so he practiced both.

Its BS to try and claim that switching from RT to LT and then back to RT is so hard. TOTAL BS.

Just trying to find excuses for him
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,183 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    RT is a concern for next year. Free should not be a Cowboy in 2013. If he is, something is definitely wrong.

The entire OL is a concern. Our new OG's have not panned out. Our C issue is a mess. We have one player to build around right now.
  13. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,785 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    .....lack of nasty in him, needs some attitude, seems like he had it during his first stint at RT, must have rubbed off since.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  15. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yeah, it is called getting paid and not caring anymore.
  16. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Doug Free is a marginal player who parlayed a nice 5 or so week run at the end of 2009 into an 8 figure contract.

Kudos to Doug.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,778 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    its another way of saying Free is suffering from lack of confidence and its showing. In under-sea world it would be equivalent of wounded dolphin flopping around with bunch of sharks in the area who have eaten recently.
  18. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Rewatching the game he just looks lost, maybe getting moved to the right side did something to his confidence? Garrett should send him on a couple of pulls early to get his game going.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,019 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
    I don't know for sure but I took it as he doesn't have enough 'attitude'. That's why I said put him in the pit and send them after him. You either quit or get mean. Can't really. Too late in the year for that sort of thing which I don't even know if they do anymore. Put I suspect he needs more fight in him. Besides the technique thing.
  20. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    Very true. Free has bad body language and defensive players feed off of it. Same thing happened to DaBears o-line last night.

Free lacks confidence and he needs to find it quick or he will be out of a job next season. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Gogan: he was terrible RT. Maybe he would make a better guard.