1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FWST: With Free, Garrett says, 'It's a technical thing, it's a demeanor thing."

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 19, 2012.

1. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,068 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    If your not the most talented guy in the world, then you need to play tackle with a mean streak. Marc Columbo was a perfect example. Free and Columbo are essentially the same guy, but Columbo was nasty. And that nastiness kept him in the league until his body finally failed him.

What you rally want is talent AND a mean streak, like Erik Williams. But they are tough to find.

Free has neither the talent nor the attitude.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    I have project for you guys if you are willing...

Count how many times the OL will initiate a double team during pass protection.

The keyword is initiate and not hold it...as in two lineman will punch a guy and then one will maintain the rest of the block and the other will come off and look for another defender.

Sometimes it's the details, or maybe lack of attention to detail?
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,035 Messages
    4,537 Likes Received
    Kinda hard to get a dble team on a wide DE quickly. Teams are doing a lot of stunting on us and that seems to be creating a lot of confusion. We are also letting too many blitzers come in untouched or minimally blocked.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

We had 2 new faces on the OL, and 1 playing a position that hadn't played since more than a year ago. The Browns ran stunts to test how cohesive the line would be with the new changes. It's what any DC coach would do when they see so much change on the OL from an opposing team.

Also of those 7 sacks, 2 of them were because Dunbar failed to block his assignment because he didn't see the blitz. The 1st time he didn't block the #53 up the middle at all (BOB blocking) and then the second time on a corner blitz he ran off into a route without checking to see if there was a blitzer.

Another one came on Felix Jones also failing to see the blitz on play action pass. If the RB sees a free blitzer he doesn't go through with the fake and blocks the free rusher. That didn't happen and Romo was clearly upset with Jones on the play.

Pass protection success involves the running backs and sometimes the WRs.

KO ran a route too far that caused Romo to double pump his throw and hold onto the ball. This was on a 1st and 10 and KO is trying to run his route past the sticks...on a 1st and 10?

That's 4 sacks caused by people not playing along the OL. That's why you have to evaluate the team as in all 11 on the field and the play design.
  5. Tennione72

Tennione72 Member

835 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He suffers from lack of Colombo
  6. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Free didn't just get beat by the bullrush, he let a guy run right around him untouched.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    What's your point? It's not like the guy that helps then comes off is lazy, they can punch and then look to another defender for a number of reasons
  8. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,156 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    I think it has more to do with being beaten like a rented mule for a year and half.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,451 Messages
    6,008 Likes Received
    i miss columbo. you are right, if free is lacking talent then he needs to at least make up for it with tough, physical play. at times it looks like he's scared of contact.
  10. jobberone

39,035 Messages
    4,537 Likes Received
    Still haven't seen any film but I trust you. But regardless of Sunday's game teams have been stunting us all year and we haven't done the best job of it although at times not too bad. It doesn't surprise me for the RBs to miss the blitz esp Dunbar. Maybe Jones some.

We seem to leak in different areas almost every week although there have been some constant strengths and weaknesses relatively speaking.
  11. jobberone

39,035 Messages
    4,537 Likes Received
    The point is (I think) that they are staying on someone too long helping out and not keeping a good pocket. I've seen that at times but I don't know if that's a constant problem. They do have trouble passing people off on stunts.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    If his technique sucks and his toughness sucks, what else is there?
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    I appreciate Bluestang's observations and comments.

That's a little more enlightening that some of the other comments folks have made.
  14. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I agree with that 100% on one of the Romo sacks in the Cleveland game Free let a stunting backer run right past him with no more that a bump of the shoulder. That to me is chalked up to not knowing what he's doing.
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    Count Free out...he's done.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,429 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    13 million guaranteed?
  17. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    Winning personality?
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,261 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Against the browns I noticed that during the stunts I noticed the the initial rusher that engaged 2 would actually hold the arm of our OL so the second guy could not get to the stunter. I noticed it like 3-4 times in the game. I also noticed it never got called.
  19. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received

I think that's a nice way of calling him a p_ _ _ y......
  20. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,899 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Tenacity, with a touch of nastiness is what he lacks. I thought he had a bit of it 2-3 years ago. Did he get injured and lose the edge? That's my guess...