1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Galaxy Nexus today

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Word is, the Galaxy Nexus will be released in the US today via Verizon.

[youtube]CdD8s0jFJYo[/youtube]

Google+ Post
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,224 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    There are just too many cool Android phones out there these days, it's impossible to keep up with. I'm glad I'm not in the market, I think my head would explode trying to determine which is the "best" one.
  3. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Wish I was due for an upgrade for this one.
  4. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Currently this one tops them all. Android 4 is only but the beginning of why it's tops.

Still, that said. It has some things I'm not so thrilled with. No SD card slot for one. :mad:

Currently my family is on a T-Mobile family plan. T-Mobile has great prices for a family plans. To get this phone, I would have to leave T-Mobile for Verizon. That would almost double our current phone bill. (we currently have 4 phones and two data plans) Wanting this phone isn't a hard decision, but doubling what we pay already gives me pause. It's not really the money as much as the logic in that decision. It definitely comes down to want rather than need. My Nexus One is a little behind in technology, but it actually still does everything I need it too.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,877 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I read that it was $300 with a new contract. :eek:
  6. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yep. $299. It's THE top of the line phone on the market right now.
  7. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    That's what pretty much all "top of the line" phones (thunderbolt, razr, bionic, nexus, etc) that come out nowadays are.
  8. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  9. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Android 4.0. Those others can't say that. They were better in hardware only.
  10. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    $199 for me with a special discount I've got, but I'm going to hold off until the new year and see if I can't get it for free by the end of February or so.

I might have to find a spare $149 laying around. I can't believe the dang screen is bigger than my entire Crackberry.
  11. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,959 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    QQ from a dude that doesn't have a smart phone.

Where the hell do you put that thing? I doubt it's going in your pockets unless you have some kind of kangaroo satchel in your jeans.
  12. Meat-O-Rama

2,224 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Ruh-Roh....

http://www.devicemag.com/2011/12/17/verizon-galaxy-nexus-owners-facing-signal-issues/

The Galaxy Nexus Android Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone is in many hands now in the US on Verizon’s 4G LTE network.
    The device, as you know, opened to some rave reviews soon after release. And now, the handset has popped up again in the news due to some signal issues.
    Customers have begun complaining of weak signal strength on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
    The drop in signal strength in the 4G LTE handset after purchase is one serious issue, and many find the occurrence as irritating.
  13. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,959 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    It looks like a software issue to me.
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I will know soon enough as mine shipped today. Based on one of those links, it sounds like the issue occurred after an update and it also appears a Verizon tech was able to fix the issue.

We will see.
  15. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe the designers went out to beat everything on the iPhone, and forgot to leave out the short-circuiting issue.
  16. Meat-O-Rama

2,224 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Maybe wanted to outdo them even on the death grip issue, so instead of holding it a certain way, it happens any way you hold it. Take THAT Apple!
  17. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wow. The size difference between the phones is going to be something I will definitely have to get used too. :eek:

I suspect mine should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

[IMG]
  18. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,245 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Got to mess around with one this morning. My buddy from work picked his up yesterday.

The phone is big, but it isn't a problem that some have made it out to be.

The UI is a lot faster than I expected and a lot more fluid. I like how the icons 'spring' out when you swipe to another page.

Didn't get a chance to watch a movie. But, the screen looks nice enough.

I have money burning a hole in my pocket. That and wanting a new gadget to mess with is a bad combination.

If AT&T had the phone, right now, I would pick one up.
  19. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,131 Messages
    465 Likes Received

True.

I dont care for Samsung Phones.
    Phone is sleek but does feel cheap.

My original Razr v3 was great.
    The Razr2 was ok.

The Droid Razr - I like it. Seems like a solid build.

Now, I just picked up the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon of course.

Its nice.
    Its fast.

There is a little lag.
    - the altimeter takes a full second or two in some case to kick in - I DONT LIKE THAT

The brightness when set to automatic is too dim.
    Have to manually adjust it brighter

There are some widgets that are not available as they are with the Motorola phones.

I have 2 weeks to return it and get "new every 2 back".

I like the Droid Razr better but

- battery life is horrible
    - battery is not removeable

There is a rumor, OMG, another frackn rumor about the Razr Maxx
    - supposed to have a removeable battery
    - allows you to get bigger battery if you want

NFC is not available on the Droid Razr
    Android 4.0 is not yet available for Razr

So.... I will give it a few more days
  20. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Motorola says the Razr is upgradeable to Android 4. Now, the question is will and when will Verizon do the upgrade.

That is one reason I've been sticking with the Google branded phones. They handle most of the software on them.

I agree about the Samsung phones that I've seen. My Nexus One is an HTC phone and it just feels very high quality in your hands.

They said the Galaxy Nexus feels like plastic, but the textured back gives it a bit better feelings. That said, I hate plastic phones. The Nexus One has a very nice feel and has some weight to compared to the plastic Samsung phones I've held.