1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gameday for me, then vs. now

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by chip_gilkey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,555 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    My gameday ritual from just a couple years ago varied markedly from what it is now. I have come to expect to lose every week and it is reflected in my gameday activites.

Then:
    -up at 6 (and mad that the game was so far away
    -figure out the menu that I was making for the day and go to the store
    -I'd turn on the pregame show as soon as it came on (usually espn blah)
    -make my food during the pregame and early part of the early game
    -I'd watch multiple early games scouting out next few oppontnets
    -then I'd have all my food ready to eat during the boys game.

Now:
    -I don't pay attention to any of the other teams or league news (just what I read on here)
    -I don't make any food for the gems any more, usually just some chips or something. This was one of my most favorite parts of game day but I just got sick of going throug all the effort only to be rewarded with a loss
    -its like because i know we don't have a chance this season i just dont put in the effort. Tune in to watch us and thats it. Sundays used to be football day but not anymore.

Anyone else go through a change like this on your gameday prep?
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,948 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Why would losing change your ritual? Well I guess if you are use to a winner but for the longest i've seen the Mavs(until the 2000's) be terrible and for the most part i've seen the Cowboys be terrible. What's really changed in the past 15 years?
  3. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

685 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Age might be a factor.

As you get old, you pay less attention to these type of things I guess.
  4. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,882 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    That's what it is for me. As I get older I realize there are way more important things in life. I enjoy watching, want them to be successful but it doesn't ruin my life any more if we don't.
  5. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    yeah, same here....don't even bother seeing the pre-game crap anymore. Talking heads just saying how the boys suck.

as you get older you also see that there are MORE important things in life than a freaking game or team. Sometimes watching the Boys is like expecting a train wreck, and usually there is now. Then they trot out the players after the game to say how they need to play better and the coach to say all this is a process. It is like seeing a rerun of a terrible movie.

And before you ask why the heck would I even keep watching this team....its because I am a FAN of the team, its history, its legends, the STAR...and keep hoping for its return to prominence in the NFL.....unfortunately, not under this Bozo.
  6. chip_gilkey

2,555 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Sad part is I'm only 23 :laugh2: I think the main change in my life is I now have a girlfriend whom I live with and I am in my last year of college and trying to figure out life.

So maybe once I have a career and am established I will get back into it.
  7. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

925 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    been the same way with me. I'm in my mid 40's and life just becomes more complicated with wife and kids. I wouldn't change the cooking part because you still have to eat and nothing says family like a good Sunday dinner.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,398 Messages
    6,426 Likes Received
    I don't know how much I've changed because of the team's lack of success or just a product of getting older.

I think at 38 I probably shouldn't be acting like I did pregame when I was 18.

The Cowboys play the Eagles today. I'm as big of an Eagles hater as I am a Cowboys fan. The 18 year old me would be going nuts right now but I could take a nap if I wanted to. It's just not nearly as critical as it seemed to be. I think some of that has to be because the team can't contend anymore but I seriously doubt I'd be hyperventilating regardless of how good we are.

I still get a little nervous right before kickoff though.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    agree on the age thing

20 years ago I would get almost physically ill if ND or the Boys were losing.

now either one hurts a little but nowhere near like it did
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a 18 years old and full of energy. I can't wait for kickoff. When the Cowboys lose I really take the losses hard and when they win I scream like a maniac.
  11. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,888 Messages
    1,119 Likes Received
    If you're a person who enjoyed some of the teams success as a lot of us has, this time in history is so depressing, that you have to become numb to it. I have no favorites on the team anymore, I don't know who we are as a franchise.

The wins don't mean anything to me, I still can't look away though. It's like a bad marriage, where you love the wife, but you have so much bad blood, you're just going through the motions. You don't want to leave her, so you just become bitter.
  12. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,098 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Well said Clove....
  13. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

892 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    In the past I couldn't watch a game around children (and some adults), because I'd scare them with my yelling, screaming and spontaneous dancing/air punching/air guitaring.

Now, an interception brings about a smirk and a sigh.
  14. CalCBFan

CalCBFan Active Member

1,224 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I agree w/ what you say, especially the part I highlighted. Only I learned not to plan my life around the Cowboys a long time ago...
  15. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I suggested to the wife a few hours ago that we might take the kids to Maymont Park since the weather is nice. That's without bothering to even check when/if the Dallas game was televised. Maybe it's fear of insanity. If I do the same thing over and over again (getting hyped about the game and expecting success) only to see the same result (mediocrity).

Wise up people - nothing's going to change in the Jerry era. You can keep expecting greatness, but only a fool can't see the big brick wall in front of the team bus. In five years we'll be talking about TWO DECADES of mediocrity under Jerry. That will be longer than a growing segement of the fan base's LIVES.

Don't take it too seriously if you the losses are going to eat you up. Go to the park. Follow another sport with a management structure that isn't doomed to failure. Play fantasy football. Watch The Wire or Breaking Bad if you missed it. Buy a belly putter and stop missing the 4 footers.

If you're young enough, you might outlive the Jer. Then you can hope for change just like Raider fans.

Wow. That was a pretty sad rant. Sad because so much is true...
  16. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,653 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    That's exactly how I feel.
  17. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I could have written that verbatim, minus the air guitar part. I once jumped up and punched my fist in the air with excitement (in an uncle's very low drop ceiling finished basement). A nice hole right through, about 10' from my open-mouthed uncle. Awkward.

Perhaps I should have air guitared instead.
  18. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

892 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    My wife would keep her phone or camera around during a game just to get footage of me acting up. After a TD a few seasons ago I started my dance routine and she filmed it. Unfortunately my wiener dog followed me along and an impromptu dance kick send the poor fella flying across the room.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    A fan should never be more emotionally invested in a team then the players themselves. When I started feeling that way is when I started to care less.

Why should I get upset and be hard for other people to be around for a whole week after a loss if the players themselves shake it off 5 minutes after the game?
  20. chip_gilkey

2,555 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Since I'm young I didn't started watching them till the last half of the 06 season. The lone highlight of my time watching the cowboys was the wildcard win over phili in 09. I really hope I don't have to wait another 15 years before we get another playoff win. I'll always watch though.