1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gameday for me, then vs. now

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by chip_gilkey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

825 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I am seriously considering not watching the game to go see Skyfall with the wife.
  2. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

664 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    The difference for me between now and then is expectations .

Then I just knew the Cowboys would find a way to win.Now I expect them to find a way to lose.

So losses do not get to me anymore as then a loss would stay with me all week.
    And I do not see this team getting better in the foreseeable future .

Also there is a political reason I do not enjoy Cowboy football as much.
    Our country is on the verge of collapse and the last election proves it.
  3. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,551 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Please lets not turn this political. Politics have absolute nothing to do with what I started this thread about.
  4. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Eat healthy, get plenty of exercise, don't smoke. You may be able to ride this out.
  5. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,360 Messages
    765 Likes Received
    I'm actually going out to eat at 4. I'm DVR'ing the game. I never would have thought of doing this years ago.
  6. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    i feel the same way as lot you guys do. i would go see skyfall it is a great movie.
  7. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,551 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,321 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    My heart goes out to you buddy, You missed the Landry era the Johnson era all you have is this CRAP to watch.. Sucks! I would say hang in there but sadly your gonna wait a long while my friend. I don't watch any NFL anymore never watch ESPN except for 30-30. Watch Cowboys and just laugh now, no more screaming yelling hardly get upset really, it stings for a bit and I move on no expectations but losing. This team has been mediocre for a while and its embarrassing that the Dallas Cowboys would but forth this product ..
  9. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.........I felt SOME nervousness before the Giants game opening night but overall: just kinda dead to it now and don't care because we suck. Don't even know what time we play today and don't expect to win at all. I've DVR'd games last few weeks and just don't watch when we lose, which is most of the time. I'm 43 and we've won ONE playoff game the last.........what is it guys 16 years? I've just about had it....sucks as it feels like a piece of me has died but in the end, it IS just a game and JJ has made his decision to be the next Al Davis. I feel for the rest of the fans though, especially the younger ones that have never experienced winning.
  10. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,321 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Well that would be the main reason to watch sports to be distracted from everyday stuff, I would get my fill and be merrily stupid to the real world now its no more sports and i'm left with these cruddy Cowboys. "the HORROR, the HORORR.........
  11. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I tend to drink more. In fact, it's 10:20 and I think I'll crack open my first Newcastle warewolf. Go Cowboys!
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,485 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    I feel the same as many of you, but I don't think age has much to do with it. Like Mike Gundy, I'm a man, I'm 40, and I still get pumped for games. I've got an isolated gym/mancave where I can put on a game and get as excited and stupid as I want. I can, and do, still yell at the TV and jump around like an idiot.

But not for Cowboys games. Like many have posted, I'm sort of numb now. I think it was all those historic blown leads last year and the incredible late game bungling we all saw. This team is extremely stale right now and needs a real makeover.

And I guarantee you we aren't alone. For years I've watched most games at a Dallas-area bar/restaurant with some friends, and you can feel the apathy growing the last couple of years. From 2006-2009 or so, people would come in with their jerseys on, get really into the game, etc. Now there's just a scattering of people who even pay attention, and even they are pretty subdued.

The really bad thing I've noticed, and this just started happened last year, is that when watching a non-Cowboys game in which I have some kind of rooting interest, I now expect the worst. If a team I like is winning, I expect them to blow it. If a team I hate is losing, I expect them to come back and win. I'm naturally pretty optimistic, so when I caught myself feeling this way late last year while watching a game, it surprised me. I realized that my Cowboys feelings had bled over into games they had nothing to do with. :(
  13. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

664 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I have no intention of turning this thread political.
    Lets just say country trump sports .While the gladiators were fighting in the arena, Rome was collapsing.
  14. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

894 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Wow, that's pretty sad. If you can't even enjoy the wins anymore then why watch?

I still get into the games every week, enjoy the wins, and hate the losses. No matter how poorly the season is going though my Sunday rituals are pretty much the same. Being a football/Cowboys fan is a hobby to me, I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying it, but if I did I'd probably spend my Sunday's doing something else during fall/winter. Ultimately it's all a matter of perspective I suppose.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,855 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    Here's my gameday.

Wake up just before the early kick off.....watch football all day.
  16. lane

lane The Chairman

10,387 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    new stadium...i mean shopping mall

we have some soft ,stupid players that need to be benched or cut.

wussification of the nfl

crooked referees

jason and jerry

these are the reasons it's hard to get up for the cowboys for me.

still love the team though..it's not the player's fault who they have to play for.