1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Garrett Bringing Entire Practice Squad To NY

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Doomsday101, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    Since taking over as head coach, Jason Garrett has done as much as possible to make the Cowboys' eight-man practice squad feel like part of the team.

While not counted on the official 53-man roster, the players serve scout team purposes in practice, and go to work every day just like everyone else. Garrett has emphasized their contributions by designating a scout team player of the week for each win, honoring them right alongside the guys who won offensive, defensive and special teams game balls, and speaking in terms of the 61 players under his control, not just 53.

This week, as an end-of-the-season reward, and for the experience of the biggest game of the year, Garrett has decided the entire practice squad will make the trip to New York with the rest of the players and coaches, a first within recent memory.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/j...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,283 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    They better be yelling their ***** off supporting the team.
  3. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    They have been learning from the Cowboy stadium crowd they will be loud when the offense has the ball. :laugh2:
  4. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,283 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Since our stadium is a night club, might as well passout glow necklaces and play rave music the whole time.
  5. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    I like the stadium, I just wish the fans were more vocal. I have yet to leave a Cowboys game with my voice in tack and yet I see many who seem as if they are at the movies. Texas Stadium was the same way.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,046 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I like this. It means guys are going to be working, and anyone who isn't might see a PS guy take his spot.
  7. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,308 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Texas Stadium was the same way in this era. It wasn't always that way. The loudest football game I've ever been to (and yes, I've been to recent Saints games in the Superdome) was the 1995 NFC Championship game between Dallas and Green Bay at Texas Stadium. My ears were ringing for a week after that game. The game was an emotional one with cheap shots back and forth between both teams. I was on the sideline where Reggie White attacked the camera man. That was the most fired up crowd I've ever seen for a football game, and they got louder with each cheap shot.

:laugh2:
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,056 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    Garrett's a moron for doing this.

No, I don't believe that but you know some knucklehead will say exactly that.
  9. Don Corleone

4,308 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Jerry's probably counting the expenses associated with flying an extra 8 guys to New York right now.

:D
  10. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    We're you at the championship game in 93 vs the 49ers? The crowd stood up the entire game and was the loudest I've ever experienced. I'd be curious to know if one was louder than the other. I'll never forget Jerry Rice losing it and brandishing a tripod and getting a 15 yard penalty before the game even started. Awesome win, very therapeutic to wash away the nightmare of the catch.
  11. Dfense94

Dfense94 Benched

144 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This.
  12. Don Corleone

4,308 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    I wasn't at that game, but the guy who took me to the 1995 game was at the 1993 game vs. SF. He recalled that the 95 game was louder (he mentioned it on the way out of the stadium). He said the crowd got quieter in 93 after Aikman got knocked out with a concussion and Kosar came in.

The 95 game was borderline comedy, and borderline bloodbath. You had E Williams cheap shotting Jon Jurkovic of the Packers, knocking him out of the game. Emmitt getting knocked into a kicking net (no flag). Deion catching a long pass on an illegal pick play. Irvin going into the Packers defensive huddle...by himself, to tell them to calm down and that he was the baddest mofo on the planet. Gil Haskell of the Packers staff getting knocked down on the sideline (kind of scary). Then there was icing on the cake when Reggie White, who was proclaimed as the classiest man in football history, attacked a lowly old camera man in the waning moments of the game.
  13. punit328

punit328 Active Member

685 Messages
    26 Likes Received

Whats the word on this Mario Butler kid from Georgia Tech? I know some people on this board were excited when we signed him as an UDFA? Could you see him taking Alan Ball's place next year?
  14. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,625 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    JG gets it and he's spreading it throughout our team. D A M N, I'm soooo glad he's our HC. Dude is getting this team straight from the top to the bottom. Luv it!!!
  15. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,543 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Reading this kind of thing makes me lament so very much that I am too young to remember that stuff. I'm 22 and although I vaguely remember my mom and dad rooting hard for the cowboys in the 90's I didn't start paying attention until my senior year of high school. I wonder if I'll ever see a cowboys team as good as they were then. Hell I wonder if I'll ever see the cowboys win a superbowl. Kinda depressing and hard when you've never experienced your team be successful. Now I know what it's like to be an eagles fan :laugh2:
  16. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,707 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Anyone else think this is good karma?

If you believe in that sort of thing?
  17. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,288 Messages
    104 Likes Received

Maybe he will will take thier frequent flyer miles
  18. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,625 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    No doubt!!!
  19. Don Corleone

4,308 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Well, don't feel bad. I lament not being old enough to remember the Roger Staubach years. I started watching in Staubach's last year, and then got a heavy dose of Danny White, and years of bad play until the 1990's.

By 1992, the Cowboys had gone 15 years without being in the big game. I was glad to be able to see one.

No, I don't think we'll ever see a team like that one. Partly because the NFL has changed so much since then. Much of what happened in that game would be illegal today. NFL films has dubbed it as one of the 10 greatest NFL games of all time. I'm lucky to have witnessed it in person.

Jon Jurkovic was owning our offensive linemen, and Erik Williams took it upon himself to roll up on his leg when he got the chance. No flag, it was a legal play. They had to get Jurkovic out to have success running on his side.Gilbert Brown was clogging the middle, and Reggie White and company were on the other side. Jurkovic was yelling explitives and pointing at Williams. He was fired up and angry, but who could blame him? Right after that, Emmitt was busting run after run. That's the mentality I wish this team had. Opposing teams try to knock out our players, and we play like a bunch of teddy bears and don't take any shots on them.

The 1995 team was the most special IMO. They had reported locker room issues, a head coach they didn't believe in. Aikman was labeled as a racist. Irvin was deep into his drug issues. Deion had just signed for $35 million. They were a self coached team, and their offense was as simple as vanilla. They simply lined up and other team knew what they were going to do, but couldn't stop them. No trickery and no scheming, just smash mouth football.
  20. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,625 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I love the message this sends.