1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Garrett considering replacing Felix, but Jerry says no

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ravidubey, Sep 19, 2012.

1. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Posted by Darin Gantt on September 18, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Felix Jones was leapfrogged by DeMarco Murray for running back touches, and it sounded like he might be on the verge of losing a return job as well. But it apparently helps having friends in the alumni association.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Monday that he’d consider other “alternatives” after a fumble on the opening kickoff in Seattle underlined a lack of performance.

“Line 1 in returning the football in the NFL for me is ball security,” Garrett said.

But the elder and more important Jones said Tuesday his fellow former Arkansas Razorback was fine, and that he remained confident in him as a returner.

“Well, just because I do,” the owner said on KRLD-FM, via ESPNDallas.com.

“I don’t know about that,” he said about the possibility of replacing a returner who ranks 23rd in the league. “I think we saw him be quick at practice last week. I think we need to give him a little more room out there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...onsidering-replacing-felix-but-jerry-says-no/.

The writer does a great job of juxtaposing dissenting opinions here.

You'd think the head coach and owner/GM would get on the same page before fielding interviews.

Wonder which of them wins :)
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,255 Messages
    1,891 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :bang2:

coach jerry

this thread will die a quick death because the usual suspects want no part of this
  3. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,130 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    And what is new here? Garrett is on record two days ago for saying the same thing here. There is going to be disagreement on how to run the club and coach it. If the GM and owner says he wants to see more of a player then the coach is probably going to compromise...for awhile. I'd like to see more of him. Maybe he'll take it personally and do a better job. If he continues to run like he has lead weights on his legs then he'll be benched.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    How is “I don’t know about that,” the same thing as NO? Jerry comments are not much different than Garrett comments. There is no certainty on either part regarding Felix role as a return man.
  5. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I find it quite entertaining.

We all know when Jerry's says "I don't know about that" it is Jerry-speak for "I don't want that". Instead of "alternatives" to Felix that Garrett mentioned, Jerry wants the team to "make more room" for Felix, as if the return team is not trying. The conflict is apparent.

I think Jerry Jones is hurting the team by forcing the coaches to find starting roles for Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins, two players he drafted in the 1st round.

The coaches need to be focused on creating a gameplan, not distracted finding ways to feature a back who falls down when he isn't tackled or a plan for playing 4 cornerbacks on the field at once or creating a "cornerback rotation".
  6. Doomsday101

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    You have the right to think as you choose. I find it funny Garrett has said many of the same things but you take upon yourself to claim it is all Jerry. That is par for course. The conflict is apparent? :laugh2:
  7. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Garrett said he wanted to look at alternatives to Felix, claiming ball control his top priority. Jerry said he wanted to make more room for Felix and keep him returning kicks. Garrett says Felix has a problem, i.e. fumbling the football. Jerry says basically the opposite, Felix isn't the problem, he just needs "more room" to run :laugh2:.

That's as conflicted as it gets over something that you'll ever hear publicly.

Oh, and I guarantee you Felix Jones will be the starting KR next week.

Jerry said so. Garrett's opinions mean nothing next to Jerry Jones's. Garrett is only the Head Coach :bang2:
  8. Doomsday101

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    Jerry comments came on a Tuesday after the game if Garrett wanted to make a change in the game he would have.

Jerry is so into Felix that he went out and got Murray and now Murray is the lead RB with Felix hardly seeing the field? Give me a break. I'm done with the conspiracy theory
  9. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's just too many people on the opposing kicking team! I swear, take away 9 players and I'd bet everything I own Felix would get to at least the 35yd line on 80% of the returns!
  10. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We're beyond acknowledging that Felix Jones sucks. He does, which is why Garrett wants alternatives.

This is about Jerry deciding who plays, and he's making his decision because he wants to salvage his former 1st round pick. That's the wrong reason to play anyone. I mean he's going on about Jones' college history, for Heaven's sake, and not the immediate pro history which has him ranked 23rd in the league and fumbling the ball. Jones is just not ready to play.

The right reason someone starts at KR is because the Head Coach and ST Coach think it gives the team the best chance to succeed. The GM and his preferences based on the past should have nothing to do with it, but unfortunately in Dallas it seems to be the first and only thing.

Again, this guy is going to start next week. Why?
  11. Doomsday101

75,359 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    and if Garrett want to put Harris back there he will. Yes Jones talked about Felix as a return man at Ark why? because he was one and chances are the reason the special teams coach and Garrett have him back there.

Will Felix continue over the course of the season to be the return man I don't know I guess we will find out but lets just say next week Harris gets some returns on kick offs is that Jerry doing as well?

There are many GM who talk up players jerry is not alone in that, they are not going to act like reporters or fans and rip into players with the media why you would even think that is beyond rediculas. You know Jerry thought highly of TO but in the end TO got released even with outstanding money that went aginst our cap. Other people do have a say in what is going on..
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,878 Messages
    4,697 Likes Received
    I don't think the HC and the GM need to be on the same page out of the box regarding every player. What's a lot more important is what happens when their opinions conflict. If JG wants to swap his returner, I don't think Jerry stands in his way just because of a quote like this.

And I'm doubly sure Felix being from Arkansas has nothing to do with anything.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    When Garrett only gives his #2 RB one carry in two combined games, it pretty much speaks volumes as to what he thinks of him. I think Felix is one of Jerry's pet cats because there have been too many whispers around the Ranch that Felix doesn't many supportes in the organization other than Jerry.

I think Jerry stays hands off 95% of the time, but I do think the other 5% involves his personal "pet cats" that, at the very least, he lobbies hard for. Even if the man in power or signing the checks isn't acting as a dictator issuing decrees, his lobbying and persuasion tends to get implemented simply due to his authority. You see it all the time in any work place in the real world.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    If you watched the PC, Garrett was hardly adamant about replacing Felix. Just the opposite in fact. He only gave a vague "Well, we evaluate all our players every week" when pressed by the reporters. Then he mentioned the ball security bit.
  15. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    It's just this kind if thing that can distract coaches to no end. I bet Rob Ryan worked as hard trying to find ways of sending in "waves" of cornerbacks to get Mike Jenkins (another Jerry Pet cat) on the field as he did game-planning vs Seattle.

Jones and Jenkins had their chances and have been replaced. Jerry needs to get over it now and stop pressuring his staff. Coaches have enough to do. They don't need to be worrying about their Owner/GM's agendas on top of everything else.
  16. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    And you know having watched Garrett's PC's before that he is known for speaking a lot and not really saying anything. It's a skill he has. Garrett actually mentioning "ball security" in relation to Felix' performance is as public an admonishment and negative acknowledgement as that guy is ever going to make.

Grading Felix's game performance (down to the last play) can be summed up in one word: pathetic. How can this guy be actually starting? If he's hurt, keep him inactive. Don't make the team suffer through his performances just to appease the owner.
  17. Chocolate Lab

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    Yes, so if he doesn't really say anything, how do we know he wants to bench Felix? He might be thinking Felix will bounce back the same as Jerry is. Don't forget Garrett was lobbying to draft Felix on Hard Knocks.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Jerry speaking about playing time like everyone else, I'm just saying the media reports are playing up this rift, or at least could well be.

And besides... I'm not convinced we don't see someone else at KR anyway. These comments were made on Tuesday so it's not like changes can't be made.
  18. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I can't stand hearing Jerry speak unless it has to do with business and being an owner. With that said, this seems like it's 100% media driven and a non-issue.
  19. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    All true and well-reasoned statements and I have to agree with you on all of them.

Jerry's interference just drives me up a wall. To further establish his authority and emphasize accountability I really, really hope Garrett fields another KR. Might be easier said than done, but I think it would allow Harris opportunities to build on some of the very good things he did in preseason.
  20. Chocolate Lab

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    It drives me up a wall, too. I've watched my baseball team, the Rangers, become an absolute model sports franchise the last few years: Rich owners who spend money and don't interfere with their outstanding front office. Meanwhile the football team next door is more concerned with making money and the owner being visible -- which it does very well --than with putting the absolute best product on the field.

It stinks.