1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Garrett: Crawford can play all four DL positions

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,293 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    Yeah, you're right, it is pretty cool how Garrett has weighed in on the defenses' epic struggles over the past three seasons to the betterment of that squad.
    I for one, am really glad that Jerry has tasked Jason with continuing his success with the DL in 2014.
    Beast_from_East and khiladi like this.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,025 Messages
    4,985 Likes Received
    He's a SDE and can play either DT.
  3. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,992 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Not after microfracture surgery he wouldn't
    Risen Star likes this.
  4. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,247 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    He'll be part of the DL rotation and worked in slowly.

At least he's now an option.

DL is about to change a lot in the next month or so.

I'll bet we draft 3 in our first 4 pics.
  5. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,768 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    Garrett getting his defensive hat on as part of his training program! The secret sauce is in full effect.
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  6. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,131 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    this sounds to me like they will "decide" once the draft is over...why prep him for DT is Donald is taken? why prep him for DE if they get barr and someone else? I take the comment to mean that he is versatile enough that it gives the team options...options breeds strength to the unit
  7. khiladi

12,768 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    It would sound better of it came out of Marinelli's mouth, not our resident PR coach. That's all JG seems to do lately.
    Beast_from_East likes this.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,705 Messages
    2,560 Likes Received
    I wonder what he has done to this point. It's been three months since the season ended so they have probably gone over every snap and every rep ad nauseum the last few months. You think he has been watching a lot of college tape? Or do you think he is working with Linehan to put together the new passing offense? Reviewing the defense with Marinelli?

There may be better teachers than Marinelli but I see him as a good one. You think he big times Marinelli or do you think he defers somewhat?
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,705 Messages
    2,560 Likes Received
    I don't think it would. I want the position coaches, coordinators and players insulated from the circus.

I know you hate him and I am not exactly brimming with confidence over him but it is the head coaches job to talk to the media about the entire team.
  10. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,467 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    Torrin Tucker could "play" left tackle and right tackle.

What's your point, Garrett?
  11. khiladi

12,768 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    I'm still trying to figure out if Garrett wanted Ryan gone and got Kiffen because of his connections via Tampa Bay to implement a 4-3 or Garrett wanted Ryan to stay and was forced Kiffen.. I mean the story keeps changing...
    Doomsay likes this.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,680 Messages
    3,050 Likes Received
    Yea, its kinda hard for me to take anything Garrett says about defensive players seriously. How the hell would he know which of the 4 positions on the DL Crawford is best suited to play?

He has not coached one down of defense in his entire life and all of a sudden he is breaking down positional assignments.

Maybe Marinelli should come out and start talking about which wide receivers in the draft would make a better X or Y route runner.
    khiladi and Doomsay like this.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

16,705 Messages
    2,560 Likes Received
    Your story certainly does. Where are you getting that Garrett wanted Ryan to stay or not either way?

Sounds to me like you are trying to create a story.
  14. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

275 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Why is it hard to take serious? Yes Garrett is an offensive minded coach, but he's still the head coach. To think he has nothing to say about the defensive side of the ball is crazy.
  15. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,680 Messages
    3,050 Likes Received
    Marinelli was a head coach at one point, so if that is all you need to be qualified to break down positional assignments on the side of the ball you have never coached in your entire life, then Marinelli should start talking about which WRs run the best route trees on the team...............same analogy
  16. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

275 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    That's not Marinellis job though. When he was a head coach i'm sure he did weigh in on both sides of the ball. Right now He's the D coordinator. Jason Garret is the Head coach. He is supposed to look over all aspects of the team. If he didn't and just let the coordinators do their jobs then our head coach is nothing more than a time out caller.

Its the NFL, if you don't understand defensive assignments then no way can you prepare an offense and vice versa. Knowledge of both sides of the ball is a requirement.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

52,477 Messages
    6,182 Likes Received
    That is why todays news is a good thing. Now we have some mobility with our picks.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,526 Messages
    5,712 Likes Received
    Check out his assessment of career bench warmer Terrell McClain:

khiladi likes this.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

23,365 Messages
    10,838 Likes Received
    It must have been the 89 total tackles over 49 games (33 starts) that impressed him.

Or maybe it was the 7.5 sacks over his college career. Or the 10 QB hurries over 4 years. Perhaps the 2 forced fumbles or that one fumble recovery.

He was a real man among boys down there.

Then when you look at his pro production, 29 tackles and a sack in 28 games played you can only come to the conclusion that this is a guy who just produces.
    khiladi likes this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,526 Messages
    5,712 Likes Received
    He is a good football player who plays well. We should be excited to have him play for the Dallas football Cowboys.
    khiladi likes this.